Metal or plastic?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Metal or plastic?

Post by tomhugill »

Tiggr wrote:
tomhugill wrote:
Tiggr wrote:Interesting opinions above.

My first Tiger was the all plastic HL version (long gone now).
In action it was far too fast, no resemblance to the real thing at all.

Even the metal versions I have now look completely ridiculous when you put them in a "power spin" (Except the HL "pro" King Tiger which can't t even do a power spin unless it is on a smooth surface such as the kitchen floor).

If I watched a battle of 1:16 tanks would I be disappointed ?
Yes.

That's a shame.
It spoils the realistic scale model if it is run at a scale speed of 80/90 mph.
Similar to my other hobby - garden railways - some folk run their locos at the scale speed of a scalded cat.....

Models of any type and scale should be run/operated at a scale speed

Toys on the other hand - it doesn't matter.
Generally they run at scale top speed (on road), however it's the rapid acceleration/deceleration that makes things look daft.
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

jackalope wrote:My thoughts on the subject is make your toy tank as tough as a real tank! Metal tracks, metal gearboxes, metal drive sprockets, metal road wheels, metal idler wheels, metal lower hull!

My King Tiger weights in at 29lbs/13kg.
My Jagdtiger weights in at 31lbs/14kg.
My 2 Tiger I's are 26lbs/11kg and 27lbs/12kg.

All can go ANYWHERE, through ANYTHING and keep on going!
My Tiger has metal wheels track hull, steel4/1 gears, weighs in at around 6kg's-where are you getting the other 6kg's from..thats v heavy Tiger?
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

I prefer metal tracks a the extra weight makes the tank drive through the grass and not over the grass.

My first tank was a non S&S HL Tiger that I upgraded with some metal tracks, gears and wheels I picked up off ebay. Ten years later and it's still going strong.

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I do have to say my full metal elefant (11-12kg) was ok on grass due to the low ratio gears and 3s power. But I did worry about the forces involved when turning!

Honourable mention does go to the Taigen late tiger chassis, running gear and 4:1 gear combo. Not light (at around 6kg as Jake says) but the late tiger and Sturm tiger which use them are Stella performers on grass. In fact my late tiger was one of the only tanks running last year at the yorkshire show when the battlefield turned into a quagmire.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

tomhugill wrote:I do have to say my full metal elefant (11-12kg) was ok on grass due to the low ratio gears and 3s power. But I did worry about the forces involved when turning!

Honourable mention does go to the Taigen late tiger chassis, running gear and 4:1 gear combo. Not light (at around 6kg as Jake says) but the late tiger and Sturm tiger which use them are Stella performers on grass. In fact my late tiger was one of the only tanks running last year at the yorkshire show when the battlefield turned into a quagmire.

Agreed Tom.
The Taigen Tiger (and Königstiger/Jagdtiger)are cracking runners (The Torro versions are the same chassis too).
All my Tigers with the exception of the poor Heng Long Königstiger are great runners.
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Jake79 wrote:
jackalope wrote:My thoughts on the subject is make your toy tank as tough as a real tank! Metal tracks, metal gearboxes, metal drive sprockets, metal road wheels, metal idler wheels, metal lower hull!

My King Tiger weights in at 29lbs/13kg.
My Jagdtiger weights in at 31lbs/14kg.
My 2 Tiger I's are 26lbs/11kg and 27lbs/12kg.

All can go ANYWHERE, through ANYTHING and keep on going!
My Tiger has metal wheels track hull, steel4/1 gears, weighs in at around 6kg's-where are you getting the other 6kg's from..thats v heavy Tiger?

I weigh them in full trim fully loaded with batteries and electronics in them. I may have to re-weigh them if you think I'm THAT far off though, it has been years since I checked.
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

For kids, and on grass, I'd go for plastic tracks.

Metal tracks dig-in too much in grass, leading to a lot of wear&tear in the stock gearboxes and over-heated motors.

Added to that, plastic tracks are cheap as chips to replace if they get knackered. Earlier HL tanks, like their early tiger, used inferior, brittle plastics for their tracks, and I broke masses of links, álways splitting where the metal pins went in. Ugh!

Their later models use a tough, Polycarbonate-like plastic. Paint won't stick too well, but I never broke a track on f.i. my Jagdpanther, whatever the underground.

(To be totally honest, I dó like metal tracks for the looks, but I don't use them anymore. For my Leopard and Chally I bit the bullet and bought two sets of (expensive @ €80.- a set 8O ) Tamiya's Leopard tracks. They are a mixture of dark-grey plastic (Poly urethane, I think), metal and a soft, exellently bonded to the tracks, pvc.
Súper strong. Couldn't break them if I tried, good grip, but not realy heavy, just a tad heavier than their plastic HL equivalents. And they look ace! )
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Plastic or metal?
It's purely a matter of personal preferences I think. For me it's all about realism, or as near as one can get and on that account it has to be metal. Metal just feel right, looks more right, and runs more right than plastic equivalents. MY Torro KT is mostly metal (tracks, wheels, sprockets, gearboxes, hull, turret, etc, etc) and weighs in over 9kg. When running and turning on grass it feels under-powered - because it is. And I keep it this way, with the original gearboxes and motors, even though it is otherwise fairly extensively ungraded simply because that is how it was for the real KT's, they were known to be under-powered. I like the way it (slowly) plows its way through the grass leaving visible track lines wherever it goes. Plastic tanks always seem to bob about more like toys than metal ones, which is why I will probably never buy a Tamiya (though an unusual bargain might persuade me otherwise! :D ) .
It's horses for courses really and this is just my take on the issue. I can, though, see the argument for going the plastic route on tracks (and RC tanks generally) when it comes to buying for kids. I'm guessing the plastic will be more durable and a much more economical option in this case. But for realistic look, feel, and running, for me it has to be metal.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Thanks, I forgot to update, I decided in the end to just go with metal gearboxes, I think I got them from forgebear. The Pershing will be getting metal drive wheels/sprockets when money allows, as somehow, it's 2y/o driver has managed to snap the side off 1, though surprisingly it still runs well and doesn't lose the track. The tiger is proving a complete PITA, almost constantly throwing a track off, have ordered a tensioner from China for £15, will have to hope it does the job, but have a back up plan of a replacement tank if not.

As for my bulldog, I have a set of metal wheels and tracks in my Ebay basket for a few weeks, decided against it and removed them, then found some for £50 with free post and before I knew it they were on their way to me...

The Pershing and tiger (when it's running) run exactly the same with metal gearboxes as they did with the standard plastic boxes, just minus the crunchy graunching noises, and are still well over scale speed. My bulldog however is now much much slower, which is a pain if I want to make a quick exit as my kids are heading straight for my tank. I found some motors, again on eBay, can't remember the sellers name but it was 1 I've heard of with regards to tank parts before, and it claims they're much quicker, I'll try and find the link. The other thing is that the weight of the metal gearboxes in the bulldog have greatly affected its ability to climb obstacles. Previously I could drive over the little raised wood between the grass and the bark, but now the extra weight at the rear means it just climbs up near vertical and then the tracks just slip, to climb over things now, I have to go over in reverse, so I think I may need to add a bit of lead in the front to even if out again.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Here's the motors: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heng-Long-Tank- ... Ciid%253A1

There's also these, claiming the same power, just a different colour and different seller:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Heng-Long-T ... Ciid%253A2

Return to “General Questions”