Tamiya us olive drab .

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Tamiya us olive drab .

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Morning all,

I have noticed that tamiya do 2 different olive drab colours, ts-5 and ts-28 both in rattle cans, I have a couple of shermans that I'm going to paint and i already have a pot of tamiya xf-62 olive drab. I plan on using the rattle can as a base coat to cover the large areas of the tank and then use the pot to airbrush the smaller details and to use for mixing and modulating the colours. So finally guys my question is what colour rattle can ie, ts-5 or ts-28 would be the best or same colour to use with the pot of xf-62 olive drab :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tamiya us olive drab .

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Morning all,

I have noticed that tamiya do 2 different olive drab colours, ts-5 and ts-28 both in rattle cans, I have a couple of shermans that I'm going to paint and i already have a pot of tamiya xf-62 olive drab. I plan on using the rattle can as a base coat to cover the large areas of the tank and then use the pot to airbrush the smaller details and to use for mixing and modulating the colours. So finally guys my question is what colour rattle can ie, ts-5 or ts-28 would be the best or same colour to use with the pot of xf-62 olive drab :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Hi. I have both the ts5 rattle can and the XF 62, and I must say on my hands it looks different. The ts5 looks more dark and more... I dont know, clean.

The xf 62 does not look that great. BUT I must say it might be my fault due to not using propper thinners or lack of skills airbrushing.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the info Rad :thumbup: that's why I wanted to ask about which rattle can colour would be more suitable with the pot colour ,

Cheers, Lee.
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Hi,
I tried both rattle cans for my Pershing, and settled with TS5. I thought it was a closer match to XF62 olive drab.
I ended up using the TS28 as a base colour on an early Russian T34/76. Its a more "yellower" olive drab.
I think that TS28 is more suited to US tanks in the Korean War.

The Sherman is XF62 and the Pershing is TS5, but the Sherman has had several layers of weathering and not as much on the Pershing.
Not the best for comparison, but I hope it helps.

Cheers
AK
IMG_2568.jpg
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the info AK very much appreciated, great looking pair of tanks you have there :thumbup: I'm planning on using the ts-5 as the main base and then use the xf-62 to give variation :D

Cheers, Lee.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

AK said exactly what I tryed to say. The xf62 is yellowish!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Questions”