Winter Paint

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
gisalook
Lance Corporal

Winter Paint

Post by gisalook »

Hi guys I'm thinking of spraying my Tiger 1 in winter white and gray.
What I need to know is what Tamiya acrylic paints numbers i need.
I'm going to thin it out and use one of my airbrushes to lay it on.
Thanks
Adrian
The South will rise again.

That's South Wales mun Boyo.
.U.K.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Winter Paint

Post by jarndice »

Hi, If you go to the MENU and scroll down to "HENG LONG BUILDS" Page two has Hermans
"WINTER TIGER"
He painted it in Winter Camo,
The Build just like all Hermans builds is well worth a look. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, a fast and simple method I use is to paint the tank Tamiya flat white. Then slowly apply some black MIG pigments with a small 2mm hard brush into every hole, panel lines, joints, into corners, all areas where dirt would normally get. Ensure the pigment is adhering by pressing on it with the brush. Blow on area where you drop too much, without rubbing it. Pigment is hard to wash if you put too much. The secret is a little bit at a time. Brushing lightly a larger brush with black pigments over zimmerit will make the lines stand out and look better. This process normally takes a 1 to 2 hours for a tank. Then take a large hard brush, dip it into MIG dark steel pigments, make sure the brush contain enough material but not too much, then brush over all raised areas, like cupola, raised corners, handles, exhaust, screws, pins, tow cables, tracks. Then maybe a bit of earth pigments on the wheels, lower hull and mud guards. It is important to practice before trying that on your model. I would use the underside of the tank for trials. Normally a pigment fixer is required, especially on the track because you do not want to leave a trail of pigments behind you, but I found it is not required on the upper hull if you go lightly. I did the pigment job in the attached picture in about 2 hours. This is my methods for tank weathering. There are many ways. In the end, it is a question of personal taste, and time. Oh, my final advise is to avoid running tanks with pigments on the house carpet if you are not too sure what will happen.
Regards, Louis
Attachments
WSN mid production tiger in winter
WSN mid production tiger in winter
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

jarndice wrote:Hi, If you go to the MENU and scroll down to "HENG LONG BUILDS" Page two has Hermans
"WINTER TIGER"
He painted it in Winter Camo,
The Build just like all Hermans builds is well worth a look. :thumbup:
Shaun.

Mr Jarndice does me a humble honor :{

It really depends on what you want to have it look like, should direct the method.
I used the hairspray method on the Tiger, airbrushed white, and finished with a brush.
My Munition PzIII was hairsprayed & whitewashed with a brush alone.
A newer serving Tiger will retain more white, where a vehicle with more service will have a more disturbed white coat.

Really is how you like it shall be how you make it :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Excellent advice and examples there, Gisalook, from two seasoned Tank outfitters, Herman and Louis (Imcq11). If I may at this point, I'd like say to Herman- good to see you soldiering on; and to Louis, many thanks for the dry pigment tutorial. Much appreciated. I'm sure we can all benefit from your alternative approach. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
gisalook
Lance Corporal

Post by gisalook »

Guys you've made this old fart very happy.
Thanks for all your help and photo.
Adrian
The South will rise again.

That's South Wales mun Boyo.
.U.K.
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

Snow Sherman,.jpg
Here's a nice looking Sherman with a great white wash paintjob.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Aussie wrote:
Snow Sherman,.jpg
Here's a nice looking Sherman with a great white wash paintjob.
Aussie that's a really nice looking Sherman is that yours?

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Aussie
Corporal

Post by Aussie »

No way mate , I'm not that skilled.
Found it on another forum.
Don't get your panties in a bunch , we still got hand weapons and the fifty!

Return to “General Questions”