TBU and IBU connection

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

TBU and IBU connection

Post by MichaelC »

Hi all,

Just got my first of two Tamiya Battle Unit with base for my IBU2/3s, and had expected the connector to go directly from the TBU onto the IBU2/3 but it doesn't fit ?!?!? I am still a little stunt but is there multiple verions of Tamiya Battle Unit connectors ?

MichaelC.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: TBU and IBU connection

Post by silversurfer1947 »

To the best of my knowledge, all Tamiya battle units have plugs that only fit the Tamiya control boards. I similarly believe that Clark, Elmod and IBU boards share a plug that won't fit the Tamiya board. I have a Vampire unit fitted to my Tamiya Panther which won't fit the Tamiya electronics. Incidentally, the Tamiya IR Emitter is fitted with a plug that won't fit the IBU etc, and vice versa..
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks Richard. So does that mean whatever is labelled TBU on the board is only pin correct and not plug compatible ? If that's the case why bother ? Anyway, thanks for the info and would explain my surprise discovery.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

MichaelC wrote:whatever is labelled TBU on the board is only pin correct and not plug compatible ?
That is my understanding. I only have limited experience, so it may be as well to seek confirmation from others. The one thing I do know is connectors for Clark boards do not fit Tamiya electronics. I drew the corollary that the reverse also applied.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

Hi there the wires are the same configuration best way to sort it would be to get a lead from Ian at Rc tank electronic and cut of the tamiya plug and solder the lead on with the vampire plug.
Or have a chat to Ian and see if he has just the plugs on there own :thumbup:
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG (98.7 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks guys. I have no problem re-wiring with the correct connectors. I guess I had hope it will just be plug and play since I purchase a TBU and the board has a plug labelled TBU..... :-)

I guess the other question is, if I am rewiring anyway, do I still have to use the Tamiya port for the TBU, or can I just wired the TBU to the Heng Long IR port provided that I have all the pins sorted out (i.e. 2 for the LED and 3 for the receiver).
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

The ibu2 has a port for connecting the TBU.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Is it best to ask Ian (Tankbear) seeing he is the fountain of all knowledge regarding IBUs?
Richard
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Is it best to ask Ian (Tankbear) seeing he is the fountain of all knowledge regarding IBUs?
Let that poor man rest for a while. I cant imagine how busy is with so many people asking hiim every day. It has to be frustrating when most of the info is already in the manual.

If you check it you can see that you can connect the TBU. I did some hand made IR units and the conector in the tamiya electronics is the same that I use in my IBU2
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I have plugged tbus into ibus, it's most definitely plug and play (unlike Clark) I can only think you're using the wrong socket

Return to “General Questions”