• Advertisement
Ludwigs

Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby AlwynTurner » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi having spent a considerable time building and kitting up the Nashorn, I was quietly pondering what to look at next and noticed that apart from the Tamiya offering (at about £600) there didn't seem to be much happening with the JS2. From the spec it looks a pretty mean piece of kit and I wondered whether a build based on a KV1 chassis (modified where necessary) would work. I notice dingding has a KV1 chassis for less than £40 and it might give me something to tinker with over the summer. Anybody working on this at the minute? ??? ??? ???

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Postby tomhugill » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Franks modelbau do a flat pack(ish) kit which looks good. I've not seen a scratch one before though

tomhugill
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jake79 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:26 pm

I've got a metal hull minus a one suspension arm you could have for £30 if it suits.
Jake79
Staff Sergeant

Postby AlwynTurner » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Thanks jake I'm still thinking it through at the minute but if I decide to go ahead I'll pm you.

Alwyn
AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Postby mcevoyi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Yes js 2
Was done on here a couple of times now by me members long gone ,,
Most of the Js tanks seem to have been done on the kv chassis
As one time of another ,,

mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Postby MichaelC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:57 am

I have a poor man's JS-2 using Heng Long KV lower with suspension mod, wheel covers from Junkenburg's JS-3 kit, upper from Tamiya and the turret is a mod Juckenburg KV-85 with a 122mm barrel as an early JS-2. Not pretty, and almost as much as a Tamiya at the end, but just can't see myself paying close to $2,000 CAD for a full option kit.

DSCN1159.JPG
Attachments
DSCN1161.JPG
MichaelC
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 am

The result looks pretty impressive Michael, nice looking tank.
Alwyn
AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:46 am

Michael that is one fantastic looking tank. I'm rebuilding a Heng Long lower hull and wanted to know about your suspension modification.

Well done
c.rainford73
Staff Sergeant

Postby MichaelC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks guys....... The suspension mod is actually from Mr. Junkenburg, as he sells the JS-3 kit that uses a HL KV chassis. Basically what you do is put a piece of square styrene into the bogie wheel travel, so this will lower the actual chassis and reduce the wheel travel, but gives you the desire look of the IS chassis. Here is a mod HL KV chassis, with the return roller relocated to between bogies, spacer into all the bogies travel, and JS wheel covers on all of them including the sprockets and idlers.

DSCN0571a.jpg

The effect is quite convincing but you lose suspension travel. Here is a better picture of what it looks like on a tank (In this case the JS-3 but the JS-2 is identical in terms of the lower)

DSCN0581.JPG
MichaelC

Postby Raminator » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:43 am

AlwynTurner wrote:I wondered whether a build based on a KV1 chassis (modified where necessary) would work.
In addition to being longer, the IS-2 hull is also about 30 centimetres narrower than the KV-1 hull (if memory serves). Would cutting a Heng Long hull longitudinally be doable?

Also the potential for an ISU-152 or -122 from the same hull too! o-
MichaelC wrote:Basically what you do is put a piece of square styrene into the bogie wheel travel, so this will lower the actual chassis and reduce the wheel travel, but gives you the desire look of the IS chassis. Here is a mod HL KV chassis, with the return roller relocated to between bogies, spacer into all the bogies travel, and JS wheel covers on all of them including the sprockets and idlers.
I'd never noticed the different in stance height between the KV and IS, and it's actually pretty striking. Nice work on the suspension mod, it definitely looks the part.
Raminator
Corporal

Postby Tankbear » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 am

Blimp did a scratch built JS1. Even metal cast the road wheels. All before Tamiya realised JS2
Tankbear
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Love the suspension modification. You can see the difference once compared to my KV-1.
c.rainford73
Staff Sergeant

Postby MichaelC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Raminator wrote:In addition to being longer, the IS-2 hull is also about 30 centimetres narrower than the KV-1 hull (if memory serves). Would cutting a Heng Long hull longitudinally be doable?

For Junkenburg he is always just reusing the stock Heng Long chassis so I am pretty sure he made his JS-3 mold a little wider either on the inner hull or the outer to compensate for the difference. I did notice it on the JS-2 upper from Tamiya and you can see in the pictures that the tracks sticks out a little on both side to compensate for it, but overall it looks quite reasonable and you have to be a expert on JS-2/3 to notice it.

Too bad Juck is no longer in business, but he was selling just the wheel covers as a conversion kit for me so for sure you can use that, Heng Long KV chassis for a reasonable facsimile of a ISU-122/152.
MichaelC

Postby Raminator » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:34 am

It's the kind of thing you'd only notice if you were measuring it, I think Herr Juckenburg did a great job creating as many models out of the standard Heng Long stable. Your IS-3 looks great, I love that big frying pan turret.
Raminator
Corporal

Postby AlwynTurner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:43 am

Got the Heng Long KV1 chassis from Haya/dingdong, it arrived 24 hours after order. It looks slightly used but not a problem given that I'm going to have to chop it in half lengthwise to take out the 15mm excess width and rebuild it. Anyway that's a problem for later as I've still work to do on the Nashorn and kits. Looks like I will be doing JS2 wheel cover kits once I get down to the design work.

Alwyn
AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Postby Tiggr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:31 am

Blimmee!
Hats off to you guys for the amount of work you put into building a tank from scratch/modified parts !
Tiggr
Sergeant

Postby AlwynTurner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:56 am

Hi Tiggr, yes to me the fun is in taking whatever base you can get and turning it into something else which generally isn't available. Also I cannot and will never afford a Tamiya kit at the prices they sell 8O , so it's a case of getting out the styrene sheet, chopping away with the razor saw, and using the 3d printer to create the bits that aren't readily doable with flat styrene sheet.

All part of the fun and challenge! :crazy: :D

AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Postby MichaelC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Alwyn,

Here is the suspension mod. Similar to the Heng Long T34 suspension mod. Basically you put a square stryene spacer into the suspension travel limiter space to lower the default ride height and reduce the travel distance, see where the black arrow pointed to:

DSCN1755.JPG

MichaelC.
MichaelC

Postby AlwynTurner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks Michael. I've been messaging Blimp and I think he's successfully persuaded me to rather look at the KV85 which doesn't require chassis modifications. I looked at the changes he did for the JS3 and I'm prepared to take a shot at cutting a chassis, but the changes he did to get it to the right shape were wholesale dismemberment rather than minor surgery!

Thanks anyway for the info
Alwyn
AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Well I managed to find a cheap KV1 hull that I can butcher, so maybe the JS1 is back on the list of future builds.

I was bored getting the nashorn kits ready so in a quiet moment I hacked up a JS2 wheel and wheel cover design:

I'm going to print it to see how it turns out.

AlwynTurner
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to General Questions