Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Anybody tackled a scratch built JS2?

Post by Tankbear »

Nice work :thumbup:
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Ian, I have decided I am not going into printing sets of these as it takes 4 wheel sides plus axle, spacer and cover which takes two and a half hours to print, times 14 as the front idler is the same as the wheel, plus then there's the return rollers and the drive sprocket cover, probably runs to about 40 hours printing in total. To make it worthwhile I'd have to sell them at £90 a set which I doubt anyone will pay. If anyone's interested when I've finished I'll sell the set of scads/stls at £20 a shot with strict agreement not to resell/redistribute.

Thanks again for the good word.
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

The Juckenburg JS3 uses the KV inner road wheel to get round this - might make it an easier sell?

Edit - looks good. Need to find a CAD tool at some point (or the free version of work's one!).
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Rob, I and a number of others use Openscad which is free and does everything I need (the JS2 wheel and cover only took about 3 hours and it was fiddly. I suggest downloading it and giving it a try

http://www.openscad.org/downloads.html

Regards
Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I love it when a plan comes together. I printed off the parts and did a few adjustments and reprints and here's the result
Image I had to adjust contrast to get the detail

I do love this printer (most of the time when it isn't being a pain the the fundament).

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

It looks great, Alwyn. Since the printing's so time-consuming, could you do a hubcap rather than the whole wheel? Since the rim is fairly shallow, it looks like you might be able to squeeze a thin cover over an early-pattern KV-1 wheel.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

The quality you're achieving with those wheels looks fantastic! Are these in abs?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Tom yes they are abs. When I decided to get a printer I thought long and hard about abs vs pla and decided to go abs because it's harder and more suited to working parts. It has its disadvantages as I have to print at higher temps and use a heated bed, plus I had to make a cabinet to keep the temp constant, but I really am impressed with the quality it produces.
Hi raminator I did think about that but decided that I wanted a "correct" wheel so when I do a complete js2 it can be as authentic as possible.
Plus it was a bit of a challenge and I wanted to see if I could do it, and see how long it would take. :crazy:

Thanks for the good words guys

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Alwyn I'm sure someone told you this already but I'm going to say it again.....

Super looking work amazing
Tanks alot.... :wave:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Looks great !

Return to “General Questions”