Which tank is best suitable for modification

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
johanjanssen
Recruit

Which tank is best suitable for modification

Post by johanjanssen »

We are planning to have a competition within our software development company. The idea is that every team gets a RC tank and a budget for modification. In the end we would like to have automated battles. The tanks should be able to run and shoot without manuel interference. We could just send signals to the tanks receiver, or we could attach hardware (like a Raspberry Pi) to the engine directly. It's up to the teams to decide what they want to do :).

Basically the requirements are as follows:
- Budget around 200 per tank (if there is a good reason to buy more expensive tanks, please let me know)
- IR Battle system
- Preferable a bit larger to fit extra equipment or stack it at the top
- Completely assembled, no modelling
- Ability to run more tanks at the same time

I have looked around and see lots of nice tanks from various brands, but I was wondering if you could advice one? Especially if there is a tank that is better suited for modification and has a bit more space inside to store extra hardware.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Which tank is best suitable for modification

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Strange. I would ensure that for consistency & to promote the after-purchase effort rather than the base line quality that all the tanks should be controled/the same and issued to the teams for respective development from there.
I guess the venerable Tiger 1 would be a good option...............loads of space inside, and plenty of aftermarket hardware, wont tip over, and would lend itself to other work once this experiment is over.
My question is - what is the projected outcome of this ? whats a winning requisite ?
To see about developing software, or to see who can overcome an unorthodox requirement the best ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
johanjanssen
Recruit

Post by johanjanssen »

Which brand do you recommend for the Tiger 1?

Projected outcome is to have a bit of fun with some hardware en software. Next to that we want to setup a few challenges like:
- Driving around obstacles without manual intervention
- Shooting a fixed target without manual intervention
- Battle between tanks without manual intervention

The winner of the challenges is the overall winner, me might give some bonus points for coolest hardware/software solution. We're still in the investigation part, so tips are always welcome.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

By outcome I mean is this to develop software to aid in navigation, weapon stabilisation, weapon laying , target acquisition & accuracy, or simple challenge Vs solution deliverable's for other potential outcomes in full scale?

Tiger 1, 2.4Gig Heng Long would do.
I assume a lack of measurable consistent kpi's for terrain endurance would not be a factor due to the focus being on software rather than mechanical reliability, so a cheapy would be fine.
The 2.4 Gig control set would give better response, but if you require really top class control, then the clark, benedini, elmod etc etc systems would be better, but NOT for the budget you want.
Also, with the 3 key components of the experiment being the independent capability, I am uncertain how stock control systems would work with auxiliary signalling modules that you are designing as the fundamentals of this experiment.

Sure sounds interesting though.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
johanjanssen
Recruit

Post by johanjanssen »

We don't have a direct goal for the outcome. The main goal is to have fun and try out some new hardware software. If we can gain some experience with new software which we can later use for clients than that's nice, but it's no goal.

I have searched around and had difficulties finding the Heng Long Tiger with 2,4Ghz and IR. However I found the Torro in stores and it seems that they are pretty similar to Heng Long. Or should I stick with Heng Long?

I found two interesting Torro Tiger models:
- Torro Tiger 1 for 119 euro
- Torro Tiger 1 new 2,4 Ghz metal chassis for 209 euro

The more expensive one has Ni-Mh battery, is a bit larger and has metal parts. Especially the battery sounds a lot better to me and will probably allow us to continue longer than with normal batteries? Do you think the second one is worth the extra bucks? Or should I stick with the cheapest one?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I think the cheaper one is actually a different tank - it derives from an older model made by WSN. It is all plastic, and so far as I am aware the IR system will only operate with other WSN tanks, of which there are only two models, the Tiger and a Russian T34. I would suggest looking at Taigen tanks. There is a much larger range and a number of them are available with IR battle systems.

When you talk of no manual interference, do I assume the tanks will actually be autonomous? An interesting concept.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
johanjanssen
Recruit

Post by johanjanssen »

I've looked at Taigan as well, but that would add another 50 euro to the price of the tank. Is a Taigan a lot better then the metal Torro Tiger? Or Is the metal Torro Tiger also an option?

Yes the goal is to make the tanks autonomous so they combat each other without a human interfering during the battle.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have to tell you that HENG LONG no longer make Infra - Red Tanks, they ceased about 2 years ago,
The thing about Tanks with Infra red is that there is a world standard for fighting Tanks in organised venues, That standard revolves around the Tamiya Infra Red system,
Heng Long, Taigen and Torro all use their own non compatible system,
Heng Long realised that users were tearing out their system and installing Tamiya compatible systems, so they stopped fitting their own system,
To fit a Tamiya compatible system in a Heng Long, Taigen or Torro Tank means removing the existing Infra Red system as well as the Main control board you will then need to fit a Control board that is compatible with the Tamiya system such as the "IBU 2/3" The "Clark" range of control boards or the "ASP"pair of boards, that is unfortunately not all, you will also need a 2.4 Ghz Transmitter and receiver as well of course as an Infra Red "Mushroom",
Forget about £200 think more like £400 plus for each Tank !!!
So you can take that path or go for Taigen Tanks with their own system which will come in at about £250 each, As long as you understand that you will not be able to fight outside your own closed environment simply because no one else will have the same kit as you, then that might be the way to go.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As the national bard of Scotland (Robert Burns) wrote: “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.” (trans: "your plans will go awry"..). He could have written: the best laid plans of mice and tank builders, though. :lolno:
Put another way, whatever you budget for- it's going to cost you probably a lot more in the end. That said, the idea of programming a Raspberry Pi to act as the firmware for a tank ESC sounds like a novel one. You'd need to replicate the firmware for robot lawnmowers and or/ robot vacuum cleaners to begin with; just to obviate the need for 'human intervention'. Then, though, you'd have to marry these instructions up with those for IR battling...and more :crazy:
If you can pull that off, you'd probably earn the Nobel Prize for RC tank controllers...or an invitation to work for a military hardware or drone firm. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

You would also need some tank identification software, plus a target locator linked to the turret and gun controls.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “General Questions”