T90 board into Tiger 1 question

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

T90 board into Tiger 1 question

Post by Tiggr »

Okay, so I have installed the new HengLong RC board into my Tiger and all connections have been succesfully made EXCEPT for the main gun firing/BB shooting bit.

I have deduced that the very thin white and green (? I'm colour blind) cable is the one which control shooting or is the 8 pin loom wired up differently ?
(My Tiger is a Taigen late production metal edition).

Can anyone help me out with this please ?
Thank you in anticipation....
Paul
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Re: T90 board into Tiger 1 question

Post by Tiggr »

I think I have figured out why the main gun isn't firing - the 8 pin loom is wired in the exact opposite of the original Taigen loom.
Time to wheel out the led magnifier to carry out said operation.

As other esteemed colleagues have already commented the sound is a huge improvement over the older HL sound :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5GojD ... ture=share
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

What you will find is that the 8 pin is reversed between the RX18 and the socket on the underside of the upper hull, no idea why HL do that as it makes things way more complex than they need to be.

The T90 8 pin works differently to its predecessors. The turret rotation used to be on pins 1 & 2, but the T90 has a different socket on the underside of the hull, this changes pins 1 & 2 to the elevation, which is how they get two way elevation on the T90, rather than the single cycle elevation on their other tanks.

It would be worth running all 8 wires through a block connector initially, so that you can swap them around until you have the correct configuration, or if you know how to do it, pop the pins out and swap those around instead. A multimeter will tell you which pins are live when the tx is operated.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I just upgraded an older Heng Long Tiger I with the old rx18 to this same new t90 board. The sound is awesome compared to the standard old Heng Long but my Tiger also would not fire the main gun. Thanks so much for the information and I will try this MOD on my tank.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Is the repair as simple as just reversing the pin order on the 8 pin connector to the opposite order or should each lead aside from the first two be tested with a meter?

Thanks
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Thanks Wibbly. That's most helpful :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

When it comes to electronics, I can't even spell wires let alone get them to work !
So, if I was to do this, would it function by connecting colour to colour direct outside the 8 pin plug ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If you have the T90 socket that goes on the underside of the upper hull, then its a straight swap. If you don't, then:

The end three wires 6-8, usually yellow, white, green, stay the same. That's the lights and machine gun.
The middle three 3-5, are the elevation and airsoft on the old Rx18.
The first two, which are normally black and red, are the turret rotation on the old Rx18.

Armed with this knowledge, you can wire the the first 5 pins on the T90 Rx18 to an old style Rx18 tank.
It should just be the first two, the rotation, that need swapping with the elevation wires.

The neatest way of swapping wires around is to use the back edge of a modeling knife and push the locking tab back in, then pull the wire out, ease the locking tab back out and push it into whichever slot you need to on the 8 pin plug.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thank you for the information. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

This might help. I don't have airsoft, so can't test the circuits. Unfortunately I can't trace the circuits in my T90 as I rewired it to take a Clark Tk24 with IR. :|
Attachments
RX18 8 pin.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “General Questions”