Paypal Euro exchange rates!

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
aikmanmosquito
Recruit

Paypal Euro exchange rates!

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Ordering a tank from Dominique at RCTankde, however when I went to pay through rip off paypal after checking the current exchange rate I was disgusted to see how bad their's was and the tank is going to cost me £10 more than I'd thought.
IS there a way round this, as to be honest I've had enough of this rip off company and their very high charges.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Paypal Euro exchange rates!

Post by jackalope »

Maybe pay directly using your credit card?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In my experience most if not all German dealers only accept "Pay-Pal".
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
aikmanmosquito
Recruit

Post by aikmanmosquito »

I've solved it, there is an option when you pay via paypal to chose your 'card suppliers' exchange rate, and not surprisingly when you check it's a lot less than rip off paypals!! If anyone is paying for large amounts via paypal go through the process slowly or you'll miss this option. Saved myself £13, maybe not a lot, but I'd rather have it than give it to a corrupt bank!
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Post by Saracen »

Check your statement carefully...

In April I paid £243, in dollars, to Timewalker Toys using my First Direct credit card and FD charged me £7.28 "Non-Sterling Transaction Fee" 8O

Adrian
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I looked at using a direct bank transfer, but my bank would have charged so much for the service that it was no better than paying Paypal fees. Some German dealers charge the Paypal that they get charged to you as well (even though they shouldn't), so it's worth checking if the cost is an issue.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

It is a tricky one.

Back when the pound was worth 1.45 euros I bought my garden railway stuff from dealers in Germany (It was cheaper because there was no middle man distributor adding 20% to the retail price).
I remember paying a £20 fee to my bank ( :thumbdown: :eh: ) for a direct money transfer via IBAN - but the exchange rate was so good it was still worth it. Many of the dealers now use Paypal but 4/5 years ago they didn't.

Not so good now though.
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
aikmanmosquito
Recruit

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Just to update, rather than using paypals, unfair exchange rate, if you use your card suppliers then check online their rate and if they charge any percentage. When I checked they didn't, so took a photo just to provide backup if they then at a later date decide to charge me.
I sell a fair amount of stuff on ebay and paypal sting me for charges, so I am reluctant to help fill their bulging coffers

Return to “General Questions”