Torro M16 Half track conversion

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
bfrank1982
Private

Torro M16 Half track conversion

Post by bfrank1982 »

Hi you guys.

First off, I am thinking of getting the m16 halftrack.

Does anyone have it? If so, how does it drive/run? I have heard, that it has been prone to throwing tracks and that the front wheel steering didnt really work?

ALSO - I am thinking of doing a conversion:

Has anyone ever seen/heard of or built one self, which had a
1) a IR transmitter installed?
2) a 2,4 ghz board installed?

Please let me know your pro's/con's and ideas

Regards, Bfrank
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Torro M16 Half track conversion

Post by jackalope »

Had 1, sold it cause it kept throwing it's tracks. Very annoying! Also it runs more like a toy and it's radio range sucks!

They look great but that's about it, sorry.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I have two and I've never had track issues. Range sucks. Steering is good on both if you have a light touch. They're both on the same frequency and can't be run side by side. I'm converting one of them into something, not sure yet, maybe an M3, if Rich will let me cheat. Rich Johnson has probably got the most halftrack conversion experience (I think Martin has done a few, too), and Commander Bob sells them and has had quite a few apart. I really like mine. If you don't mind, what are they asking for the one you want? I think I paid about $235 for my last one, but I'd have to check to be sure. Hope that helps.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
bfrank1982
Private

Post by bfrank1982 »

@ Max:
This is the one I am looking at: http://www.rctank.de/M16-anti-aircraft- ... nd-charger

I have seen the incredible job you are doing with your tanks, so perhaps you have an idea as to how an IBU and an IR sensor could be mounted on the M16?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I might have to check out those batteries. Mine run on 8 AA batteries.

Mine are still stock, but I have heard of guys doing exactly what you're talking about (IBU, IR ready), and i believe they mounted a 105mm in the bed to make an IR tank destroyer. I think Rich Johnson is doing one of those right now, so I'll see if he's got a build thread going. I don't think I've seen anyone use an IBU for this (too big). I think elmod makes a halftrack board and the asp has halftrack mode as well, but I'm not sure about the IBU. Hopefully Ian will chime in and answer that part for you.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

Ive converted mine over to 2.4g normal rc truck esc+sound generator....I think Forgebear has a couple atm...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Frank, that looks phenomenal. That Fyn never ceases to put me in total awe. What a builder! :)

Do you have a build thread on this conversion? I'd love to hear more about what you did with the electronics. That is if you don't mind an idjit like me flagrantly copying all your hard work. :crazy:
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

No build thread anymore, but to be honest it's not that hard a conversion. Steering a hooked up to 1 channel of a receiver and motor to a cheap forward/reverse rc car esc. I also put in a Rc boat engine sound generator. I'll get her out tomorrow and take some pics if you want...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

We want! We Want! :)

Video would be awesome.
Ribsey
Recruit

Post by Ribsey »

I've put an el-mod board in mine along with 2.4ghz receiver, runs like a dream - never had it throw a track.

Return to “General Questions”