4.1 steel gears

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
erik1970
Recruit

4.1 steel gears

Post by erik1970 »

Hello everyone, i want to buy a tiger 1 rtr. I saw on rctank.de that they sell a normaly 3.1 and 4.1 stahlgetriebe(steel gears). Can somebody tell me if 4.1 is better to ride with? What is the advantage of the 4.1? Is it the price worth it? I hope someone will inform me.

Greatings,
Erik from the netherlands

http://www.rctank.de/360-24-GHz-TIGER-M ... and-sound-
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: 4.1 steel gears

Post by Tankbear »

Hello erik and welcome to the forum. :wave:

The reference to 3:1, 4:1, 5:1 is something manufacturers have created and dont technically mean much. As a general rule you have standard ratio gearboxes, then 3:1 is a lower ratio, then 4:1, then finally 5:1. When I say low ratio it is like driving a car in 1st or 2nd gear it goes slow but has lots of power.

So I would say 3:1 will be slow enough and powerful enough for a tiger tank, but the 4:1 will make it slightly slower.

Hope that helps.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
erik1970
Recruit

Post by erik1970 »

Hello Ian, thanks for your reply. I think i understand what you say. Does a 4:1 have more traction than?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Erik, Tankbear say's power you say traction I say torque, and in this context they all mean pretty much the same thing, The higher the number the greater the Torque.
shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
erik1970
Recruit

Post by erik1970 »

Hello Shaun, ok thanks. Do you like greater torque on your thank or isnt necessarry? 4:1 (incl 360 turret) costs € 100,00 more than 3.1. Its not clear to me if that is the price worthy.

Greating,
Erik

http://www.rctank.de/360-24-GHz-TIGER-M ... and-sound-
afv
Lance Corporal

Post by afv »

Hi erik1970,
I have a tiger with toro metal tracks, sprockets etc and it's very heavy, from experience I found it wouldn't turn very well because of the weight, it just lost power or not enough to turn it. Bought a set of what is called 4:1 steel gears off Dave at forgebear tanks in the uk and problem solved, it is slower but that doesn't bother me. Maybe if the tank is just running with the stock plastic tracks 4:1 gears may not be needed.
regards Jack.
erik1970
Recruit

Post by erik1970 »

Ok thx, so you are happy with it. Higher torq is better for me i think. It do not have to go fast. Power is more important for me to drive in the garden and in the field.only cost me € 100,00 more.....
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

I run 5-1 in my tiger 1 love the extra torque and remember they come wlth more powerfull motors as well
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

This is a good video about those gears. Even if you already have 4:1 ratio the good fit and bearings on each shaft
will provide less drag and the ability to creep along better etc. (If you have higher ratio gears now..then in addition the
lower ratio will add more torque)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7XeQcdXx7I
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Hi, Erik. The tank you posted the link to is pretty much the top of the line airsoft tank from Taigen. Barrel recoil, all metal, latest and greatest GBs, all the bells and whistle. It's a seriously cool tank and you're gonna love it. With five Tigers of my own I guess you could say I'm a fan of the brand, and I have a bunch of videos on this particular model if you ever need them. Of course, by this particular model I mean Taigen Tigers (not counting my King, Jagd and Sturm), and I don't actually have a mid but I have Tigers that will do everything the mid does and more. I hope you'll post photos when you get it, you're gonna luv it, ya lucky dog. :)

Here's a quick 45 second shot of two of my Taigen tigers, just to show a few possibilities.

When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Questions”