HL Pershing "Gearbox?" issue

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
brycekake87
Recruit

HL Pershing "Gearbox?" issue

Post by brycekake87 »

Hello everyone,

I am New to the forum, and I was hoping that you could assist me please.

I tried to take my Pershing for a spin the other day, however once started (everything went fine) it seems to refuse to move forward. It I hold the tank upside down, tracks facing up they seem to move fine, but when I try to drive it around it wont move correctly, and there is a horrible grating, rattling sound from inside.

I drive my tanks up near a flying club, and one of the members suggested that something might be loose, but before I dive in and open it up I was hoping for advice.

It is the Heng Long Pershing (snow leopard?), SS model, the box stated that it came with "metal tracked gearbox" although it has standard tracks.

Please HELP as I love this Tank!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: HL Pershing "Gearbox?" issue

Post by Max-U52 »

Hi Bryce, bad news. They're probably zinc gears and the grating you hear is broken teeth rubbing away in there. Time to change gear boxes. The good news is that this is a major coming-of-age thing for every tanker. Your first gearbox swap. Open the tank up and see what's in there. Here's a quick video to tell what gears you have in there. If you like it's current speed and performance then stick with what's in there, otherwise you may have options. This is a good time for it because gearboxes have come a very long way in just the last three years. Now the choice is really rather simple, and you'll want the steel GBs with bearings on all the shafts. Not bad for price, either, and here in the states I can get a pair delivered to my mailbox for about 80 bucks US (s/h usually runs about $10). So check out your tank to see what you have and please keep us posted.

If you get new GBs I have some videos that show a break in method if you need them. One of the best things you can do is get some photos of what's in your tank.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Questions”