Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by jarndice »

I far too clearly remember the night of his passing when he dropped to the floor of the stage and lay there.
A lot of laughter and applause which began to ebb away as the audience realised what was happening and then the tv screen went blank,
RIP a unique comedian.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

Your "test" figures look very fine to me! :thumbup: Far more precise than what I'd manage!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The one on the left looks like Monty !!
You sure that ones not for a Grant project !! :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:The one on the left looks like Monty !!
You sure that ones not for a Grant project !! :haha:
:haha: Well, it might not be clear from the pic, but for the moment he is sporting a Hitler 'tache, and not the almost overgrown 'pencil 'tache that Monty used to sport.

Maybe the actor who used to play Monty's double felt underpaid by the Brits, and found the Germans much more generous. :lolno:
So long as these guys don't look like WW2 zombies, or Crazy Joe's twin, I shall be mightily relieved. :D

Personally, I always thought that Monty was a dead ringer for the actor, Alan Wheatley, who made a deliciously evil Sheriff of Nottingham (opposite Richard Greene's Robin Hood) in the 1950s/60s 'Adventures of Robin Hood TV series.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

M. E. Clifton James was the actor who was Monty's double, both in real life and in the film where he played himself.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:M. E. Clifton James was the actor who was Monty's double, both in real life and in the film where he played himself.
:D Indeed, Richard. I remember the film 'I was Monty's double' very well.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I imagine these Tamiya insignia in 1/35 and 1/16 scale are known quite a few of the old hands here, but I'd not seen them before.
Adding decals can be tricky at the best of times, but adding a 1/16 epaulette accurately, must be a bit like tightrope walking for the first time :D
Anyway, I bought some to try- and if I can't hack it, it's not much of a drop. :lolno:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you for the kind words, Eric, a.k.a. EAO. However, my figure painting skills are by trial-and-error and dumb luck and you overrate me. Oh, heck, it feels good :D .

Here's my two cents/zwei Pfennig/of advice. First: I recommend this thread for great advice and helpful links. Second: I also found that practice-practice-practice.... Third: while I pick up a snip of advice here and there, I find that I have created some abominations unto nature until (and even after) I realized that I had to find my own combination of tricks.

The HengLong/Taigen Pänzermanner are hard to paint because they are quite crude. Once I overcame my hesitation about trying to paint more expensive figures, I turned to the SOL Model ones and actually found it easier to paint them because of the crisp detail.

For the Waffenfarbe, I use Vallejo 70-802 Sunset Red. It may not be the most accurate, but my eyes are not longer accurate. Over forty years ago, I actually make a bit of cash matching automobile paint chips in the old Testors colors for people who wanted to build a model of a specific car in a specific color. That ability faded (puns almost always intended) about three decades ago.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:Thank you for the kind words, Eric, a.k.a. EAO. However, my figure painting skills are by trial-and-error and dumb luck and you overrate me. Oh, heck, it feels good :D .

Here's my two cents/zwei Pfennig/of advice. First: I recommend this thread for great advice and helpful links. Second: I also found that practice-practice-practice.... Third: while I pick up a snip of advice here and there, I find that I have created some abominations unto nature until (and even after) I realized that I had to find my own combination of tricks.

The HengLong/Taigen Pänzermanner are hard to paint because they are quite crude. Once I overcame my hesitation about trying to paint more expensive figures, I turned to the SOL Model ones and actually found it easier to paint them because of the crisp detail.

For the Waffenfarbe, I use Vallejo 70-802 Sunset Red. It may not be the most accurate, but my eyes are not longer accurate. Over forty years ago, I actually make a bit of cash matching automobile paint chips in the old Testors colors for people who wanted to build a model of a specific car in a specific color. That ability faded (puns almost always intended) about three decades ago.

:D Thanks, HDF. :thumbup: My,.... but you do have more titles in your screen name, than Idi Amin gave himself :haha:

Er..well...on checking the accuracy of that observation, I'm afraid you come woefully short of Idi's self-awarded titles and awards, he was, according to himself:
"...His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hajj Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular. ...". Most are totally laughable, but awarding himself the VC (our 'Medal of Honour equivalent, to the German 'Knight's Cross', with oak leaves and diamonds) still annoys me. >:< :haha:

You make some interesting points there, Dok. Clearly, no matter how well one paints-even after practice, practice and then more practice, if the figure being daubed isn't that great to begin with, (a cheapo Heng Long torso, for instance) the result is likely to disappoint. ;) But at least it's worth working on.
I now have a superior quality British figure to work on, once I've finished my 'apprenticeship' on the three Tamiya figures I've tentatively begun with.

Do post your handiwork here, by the way, HDF :thumbup: The more varied a thread is, the more useful it's likely to be as resource. :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I forgot to mention that the Vallejo Face Painting acrylic package comes with this very basic, but still useful, guide to colour selection:
It's especially handy, if your German tank commander is inclined to go into action dressed as a Roman Centurion ;) :D

Return to “General Questions”