Soldering Iron Recomendations?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).

Postby Xorinnane » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Hey,
I was wondering about which soldering iron https://besttoolexpert.com/soldering-gun I should get. I don’t have a soldering iron, but I’d like to get one that I will not be disappointed with. It needs to do all regular RC stuff like bullets, battery connectors, etc. I don’t want it to be too terribly expensive. Hopefully around $40, but I don’t know how much a good one costs.

(P.S. if there is a better category to put this is, please let me know. This was the closest I could figure)
Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Xorinnane on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xorinnane
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Moving to general QUESTIONS.

This is the section for showing off models.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm

I have three soldering irons of different wattages (light duty to heavy duty); but the one I like most for model related work (motors, PCBs, connectors., u.s.w) is this one:
Antex S582470 XS25 230V PVC BP Soldering Iron
At 25 watts- for light work, it functions well, and there is also a good range of alternate tips available. For a budget iron, I found it to be good value.
Antex soldering iron.jpeg
Antex 25w soldering iron.
Antex soldering iron.jpeg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 130 times
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby PainlessWolf » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Good morning,
Add $10.00 to your budget and get a Dremel Butane Soldering Iron. Has lots of different tips for different functions like cutting or torching,etc... as well as soldering. I spent a lot of wasted money on cheap irons that ran cool or literally had the grip melt in my hand and they all made soldering a chore. The Dremel Versa-Tip iron turned soldering into a fun part of the Build again. Link: https://www.dremel.com/productimages/200001_Kitlg.jpg
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby jarndice » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Painless as ever has beat me to it :haha: ,
What I would add that makes the Dremel Versatip so much better than the conventional electric soldering iron is using it in conjunction with "Fryolux Paint".
Use it instead of solder and flux, Merely paint it on and use the versatip to make the join,
Try it once and you wont go back to the old ways.

jarndice
Captain

Postby General Jumbo01 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:41 pm

You'll need one that is the equivalent of at least 80watts to solder batteries together using connecting straps. You need lots of heat to get a quick joint before the cells get hot.
General Jumbo01
Corporal

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Postby Eastern Front » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi,
I won't recommend a soldering iron by itself, too many other things you would need to go with it like a rest etc. its a safety issue.

Having been in the electronics field for a while and as a hobbyist/DIY guy, I recommend you get a station. A station is a great thing to have,, you solder with it of course but you also have the rest, a sponge to keep your tip clean and a heat gun to shrink your tubing after having soldered the wires. If you ever solder wires to a motor, splice wires etc. electrical tape is not going to cut it, use heat shrink, then use the heat gun.. The station also can vary the wattage to the iron which is nice for really small wires for things like the micro LED's, other guns would burn back the insulation.

You will never regret buying a good station.

Here is a station: https://www.amazon.com/F2C-853d-Supply- ... =hi&sr=1-1

Look for something similar, I know there is a store down in Wiesbaden "Conrad" they have a few....

Cheers!
Eastern Front
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby General Jumbo01 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:35 pm

+1, and a set of various tips.
General Jumbo01
Corporal

Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Return to General Questions