What’s the process of fitting RC into a dragon panzer 2

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
terry1956
Recruit

What’s the process of fitting RC into a dragon panzer 2

Post by terry1956 »

Hi, I just purchased a Dragon 1:6 scale panzer 2. Can anyone please let me know the best way to add RC to it. Would it be better to change the spockets to metal, are there ways to improve the track. I don’t wish to spend a kings ramsom on parts, but would like a good running model at the end of the build. Thanks.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: What’s the process of fitting RC into a dragon panzer 2

Post by midlife306 »

I’ll be watching this Terry, I’ve got one sat there ready to start on
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

This doesn't answer what you're specifically asking about, as it's a static build; but worth seeing if you haven't already. http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=18443

I did buy one of these kits when they first came out, but after looking at what kind of effort would be needed to make the wheels rotate; figuring out how to make the suspension springs work; etc; I parted out the turret and wheels to people who needed them and saved the tracks for a Maultier build. The ONE thing I can tell you is that it's relatively easy to replace the track pins with finishing nails. I'll try and figure out what kind (size) of nails I used for them, if you're interested.

There's also a related thread on this website: viewtopic.php?f=150&t=26306

And then, I found this conversion by Lorenzo Jalbert which keeps it simple and used motor units from a 1/16 tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0f0vIBMsM
terry1956
Recruit

Post by terry1956 »

Hi, any information would be great. Thanks
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

terry1956 wrote:Hi, any information would be great. Thanks
Try the last two links posted by Sassgrunt (Mike), Terry. One details rolling-thunder's thread on converting the Pz 2. It's well worth a read :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
terry1956
Recruit

Post by terry1956 »

Well the kit trucked up today. I think that the answer to get radio control is make the lower hull and suspension out of metal. I have some aluminium hanging around so will male the lower hull from that and add brass fittings and for spring steel suspension. Drive spockets I think need to be steel or brass. I will work out the rest as I figure it out.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

For the track pins, I picked up a box of 160 nails at the local hardware store. They are listed as 6d 2" 5.08 cm. They have a large flat head (that you can cut off, if you want. I left them on, and will have them on the inside, so that they don't show as much). But, they press in without having to drill out the track link holes, and do not protrude on the other side. Cheap and sturdy.
terry1956
Recruit

Post by terry1956 »

Thanks re links and track pins. In one video I watched on converting a dragon Sherman to Rc. The builder used two motors with 90’ inputs. Can anyone please let me know what motors they could be and how to get two here in the UK. Thanks.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

terry1956 wrote:Thanks re links and track pins. In one video I watched on converting a dragon Sherman to Rc. The builder used two motors with 90’ inputs. Can anyone please let me know what motors they could be and how to get two here in the UK. Thanks.
There are several Sherman builds; which are your referring to?

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
terry1956
Recruit

Post by terry1956 »

Hi, it’s one on utube, the motors are black, there is said to be a link for the motors, but I can’t see it.

Return to “General Questions”