poor slow speed steering

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mcvicar
Recruit

Re: poor slow speed steering

Post by Mcvicar »

Sorry for the delay in reply .
The details are thus,Its a modelworks 1/8 Tiger 1,.
Apparently they were for a small petrol motor and the first had such a gearbox and reduction / 90 deg arrangement .
At some point in the series they acquired a pair of brushless motors and reduction box's

I have the manuals but no details on the motor specs so i measured and went a-trawling through the internet intill i found similar motors ,and they run at 80A to 120A so thats the size of speed control i have gone with,working on the theory that i can program the speed controllers to limit the power output (50% 60% 70% or what ever) and fine tune it with regard to initial torque and so on.
the ESC's that came with it made by Mtroniks Tank and i think 40A will be swapped out before they suffer an unnecessary death in use if what i think above is correct, also i cannot program or modify them and they have a 1 second pause before reverse that is annoying
i have taken on board the comment that thay do not steer straight , this is good to know,thank you.

General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

MTronics was always an approachable company - they were my first ever sponsor when they got into 1/10th racing. Why not get in contact with them? If the motors are sensored they may well produce a ESC programmer unit that will allow you to tailor performance further.

I've no experience of 1/8th so can't be specific but l guess it's heavy! Sounds to me as though you know where you need to be with this project so take things easy at first and see how it goes. If you don't have ESC cooling fans fitted I'd recommend them. Otherwise just try to keep all the electrical components within their recommended volts and amps operating tolerances and keep a fire extinguisher nearby whilst testing! Good luck.

Oh, one more thing. If the ESC is the small.box by the battery which appears to be marked Msoniks rather than Mtronics, they look rather small and could use some heat sinks.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Mcvicar, if you want to set limits, you should do it with the radio and not with the ESCs.

You have an amazing radio capable of that and much more.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Sorry but if he has sensored brushless combos he should use both. Programmable ESCs offer more precise tuning than even the best transmitters when it comes to motor management. For example, managing timing advance based on revs, amps etc is just one aspect. However, using both gives you greater overall scope.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “General Questions”