German tanks types in same units

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Smaily
Private

German tanks types in same units

Post by Smaily »

Hello all,
straight to question:
>> I own one Pz. III, which I am currently upgrading and one Panther G (I believe both are HL ones as I got them as used).
I would like to ask history experts if there were any Pz. IIIs which were used in the same unit together with Pantrhers (preferably G, but I will live with any if necessary), so I can use some same camouflage markings to have them both from same unit.

Now, I know that Tigers were used with Pz. IIIs and I believe that Pz. IVs were used with Panthers too. But my combination is different.
I plan to order some stuff from rctank.de, so I would like to order masks in that package if I found such unit (and masks will be available).

And if I will get negative feedback about such German tank unit, I will have to explain my wife, why I need also Tiger (I or II) and also Pz. IV ;D ;D ;D
Dusty Steppes
Private

Re: German tanks types in same units

Post by Dusty Steppes »

As per Nafziger's German Order of Battle Panzer and Artillery...

116th Panzer Division
In July 1944 the organization of the armored portion of the division and it's panzer inventory were as follows:

1/24th Panzer Regiment
1 Panzer Staff Company
1 Battalion
1 Panzer Staff Company
4 Medium Panzer Companies (PzMk V)

2/16th Panzer Regiment
1 Battalion
1 Panzer Staff Company
4 Medium Panzer Companies (PzMk IV)

Total tanks available:
PzMk III (lg) 6
PzMk IV (lg) 73
PzMk V 79
Flakpz IV (37) 8
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

At this point mainly used a Command and Control tanks or resupply under fire. Stick a star antenna on your III and do it up as a command vehicle would be cool...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
RobW

Post by RobW »

Smaily wrote:And if I will get negative feedback about such German tank unit, I will have to explain my wife, why I need also Tiger (I or II) and also Pz. IV ;D ;D ;D
It's a silly idea. They should all be of a similar type. :D @) Don't forget the assault gun antitank units for support.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

And the necessary mobile artillery units - Wespe, Hummel etc etc !!!
Ohh you are going to have a great time :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW

Post by RobW »

Not to mention the heavy recovery gear...... Start decorating the dog house!
Smaily
Private

Post by Smaily »

THX for replies. I think I will adopt idea about Pz. III to be a command tank, so I will just put one more antenna.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Not just any old Aerial I hope, The Befehlswagen (Command) Panzer 111 in common with the command Panzer 4, command Panther, command Tigers 1 and 2 Tanks all had a very distinctive array,
Aber make one in Photo-Etch, It is not available from many dealers at the moment and is surprisingly expensive,
http://www.Tanktoko-apeldoorn.nl/en
in Holland have them in stock and are probably the cheapest, (Thanks to ROB59 :thumbup: ).
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Smaily
Private

Post by Smaily »

I know it was not standard antenna. Should be that one which top ends 5-way. If I go to command vehicle, I will probabpy buy normal antenna and I will scratch build that 5-way end for it (styrene from plastic kits).

I still may just build something like nr. 133 from Pz.Abt.502 with yellow-green camouflage (should be from Kursk). It just wont be completely accurate, as I plan schürzen for turret and hull too.
Rob59
Sergeant

Post by Rob59 »

jarndice wrote:Hi, Not just any old Aerial I hope, The Befehlswagen (Command) Panzer 111 in common with the command Panzer 4, command Panther, command Tigers 1 and 2 Tanks all had a very distinctive array,
Aber make one in Photo-Etch, It is not available from many dealers at the moment and is surprisingly expensive,
http://www.Tanktoko-apeldoorn.nl/en
in Holland have them in stock and are probably the cheapest, (Thanks to ROB59 :thumbup: ).

Hi Jarndice.
Yes indeed, Tanktoko Apeldoorn is the cheapest supplier concerning Fug8 antennas.
Still waiting for the 2 I ordered, one for my Ostfront Tiger 1 Befehlswagen, and the other one for the Panther G, with turret nr.003

Return to “General Questions”