NOT IMPRESSED

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MARK 7
Recruit

Re: NOT IMPRESSED

Post by MARK 7 »

Thanks for all your replys & information, I know where I stand now within my rights, I did contact the vendor & credit to him, he offered a replacement or full refund, I've decided to keep the tank & gradually upgrade it, I've got a new RX board on the way, I've mended the smoke unit , big thanks to STRMND for his info on modifying, etc, I feel like I've had a crash course in repairing model tanks, the HL is definitely a way of learning how everything works ! LOL, thanks again all, I'll let you know what happens when I install the new board.
MARK 7
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

There you go. I know, it is always bad when things happen on a weekend with no chance to sort it out. But happen you have a vendor caring for his customers.
MARK 7
Recruit

Post by MARK 7 »

Recieved the new RX board today, so I'll be fitting it tomorrow, hopefully all will be working properly again.
MARK 7
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Post by Jay-Em »

Thing is, it’s probably not even the RX18 that quit, but just the wiring in the tank breaking somewhere. As usual.

HL, Taigen, Torro, they ALL use the same shoddy soldering and sub-par wires that break at the slightest provocation, especially at the recoil-units’ little motor, and the rest of tank-turrets’ internals. For sh*t & giggles, count the strands insìde the wires, it’s 10 if You’re lucky. More often it’s about 5. Total garbage!

I usually replace the wiring (apart from that wide multi-coloured one connecting the turret to the board) inside the turret- but also towards lighting front&back- with thin wire used in HO-scale street lighting, bought at a model-train shop. I believe I paid €3.- for 10m. Or, when feeling generous, with more luxurious and stronger silicone covered wire as used for servo’s in bigger RC cars. (HobbyKing sells it by the meter. Vèry handy stuff to have around) The biggest pain here is replacing those odd-sized mini-molexes HL uses to connect to the RX18. I’m pretty proficient, by now, at prying the connectors from their tiny housings and soldering quality wiring to it. :P

It’s a lot of work, but it só pays off.

And, as a side-note, tanks that are brought back to shops as “faulty” can often be bought for peanuts with a little haggling, and repaired by simply doing some re-soldering. It’s the way I started the hobby. Bought a boot-load of “broken” snow leopards and bulldogs for €50.- got 3 working ones out of that. And they procreated like rabbits. Standing at 7, and boxes of useful spares.

Still. Heng Long ìs toy-quality. That’s just how it is. If it isn’t the wiring that goes, it’s some plasic doodah in their mechanics, or gears that snap/wear too fast. There’s a reason that Tamiya tanks cost a multitude of their Heng Long brethren.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

I can only state my experience. I own 4 Heng Long tanks and every one of them works great. I had a learning curve, like everyone, when I started. But the outfit I bought from was beyond supportive. If it broke he replaced it. And HL smokers are not that bad. I took mine apart and modified it and it worked as good as the TARR smoker I put in because I thought it would be better. But it does leave me a spare.And you can fill a TARR up with oil and it still works unlike the HL stock unit.

Polite communication with the seller has always, in my experience, received the best of customer service. 3 of my tanks are still plastic tracks and gears but they don't get driven a lot. My KT I bought with the metal gears and tracks. I've ran it over everything I have around my my acre and a quarter and it is great fun. My neighbor has goats and they really thing it is a bad spirit or something as they run like crazy when I run it by the fence.

That you chose to keep the tank makes you an addict - LOL - just like the rest of us!! Upgrade as it breaks and you're definitely an addict. But the end result is a matter of pride in that you fixed it and made it yours. Good on you.

Be well -

Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
MARK 7
Recruit

Post by MARK 7 »

Thanks for all your advice,
I've fitted the new board, & all is good again, apart from the recoil action, so as said I will now go through all the wiring, yes I'm addicted now LOL, great fun, I've also got a proportional smoke unit, so I'll have a play/around with that & see how it performs, Welsh Dragon & Forge Bear are great for their supply of spares & upgrades.
MARK 7
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Give HL a miss - unless you want to rebuild the whole thing.........

Go straight for Taigen/Torro. The build quality is much better. :thumbup:

However, as has already been said, some smoke units work fine and last, others, not. :|
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

I have a HL Tiger1 it was cheep and I must say I totally enjoyed rebuilding the thing. At the end I have a tank that I am proud of.
With all the extra parts I bought I could have probably purchased a better quality tank but would have mist all the enjoyment doing it.

Return to “General Questions”