Tamiya-money for old rope?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya-money for old rope?

Post by Max-U52 »

This video may help, Roy. And what accent does this guy have? :haha: :haha:

phpBB [video]
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:And on the subject of accents, forgive my ignorance but take comfort in the fact that you've made me think (again). I imagine a Scottish accent could be considered British, since Scotland is part of Great Britain and an English accent would be that of an Englishman. So what about a Welsh accent? Is there such an animal? How many other accents will one find in the British Isles?

Just one more reason I love this forum so much, I'm constantly learning new things about far away people and places. 8) ;)
:) Yes, Gary, accents have borders in Britain. For a welsh accent, there's a beautiful old B & W ghost film made during the war, and starring (welshman) Mervyn Johns and his lovely daughter, Glynis: "The Halfway house". Glynis later made a splash in Hollywood (as a mermaid...)
Globalisation is eating away at accents; but the welsh one is derived from the Brythonic Gaelic language. I believe the incomprehensible tongue (to me anyway.. :D ) is compulsory in Welsh schools up to the age of 14.
Similarly, the Scots accent derives (ultimately) from Irish Gaelic, which was imported in the Highlands in the 6th Century onwards, and which is taught in schools here. However, the lowland accent is the one most would recognise, and comes from Germanic dialects.
English accents drive partly from Danish, but mostly from Saxon (Sachsen) Germanic dialects, as well as Plattdeutsch ('flat German'), which is still spoken is Friesland (where the black and white cattle come from) and parts of Holland.
All the tribes on this Island (Britain/Alba in Scotland) are notionally British, and even the English (the last invaders) share 60% of their DNA with the Ancient Britons: The 'Beaker Folk", the "Celts', and the 'Picts' ('Painted people'-
though I'm sure they didn't use a 'Clear Coat' before applying their washes :haha: :haha: ).
Thus, all native Britons may still have differing tribal origins, but they all have true indigenous status. Political correctness is now trying to 'include' people in this mix who could never have been here..

As a by the by, Sentencing in the US strikes us here as being truly bizarre, just as the 'Three strikes' rule does. What's the point, for example, in sentencing someone to 300 years in jail, unless his name happens to be Methusalah?
:eh: :lolno: :haha: Justice is not only blind sometimes, but plain stupid too.. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Gary, here is an Englishman doing a Welsh accent for you:

phpBB [video]

And the most magnificent Scottish lilt that ever pour over my ears:

phpBB [video]

And to be fair, a Welshman and a Mancunian doing a Cockney accent:

phpBB [video]
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That Michael Caine bit was hilarious. I kept waiting for the real Michael Caine to walk in and cuss them both out. As a Yank (and that's Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice) I think the Scots accent is the coolest, and the guy on Stargate Atlantis (if you remember that one) was a favorite of mine, just for the accent. And to be fair, wasn't that first video really an Englishwoman doing the bit? @) @)

Wait, I take that back. I don't want to insult all those fine English women over there. So far I have yet to meet an English woman that I didn't like. ;)

So back to washes ... Roy, have you ever checked out the FineScale Modeler website? They have more great info there than you can shake a stick at. You may have to register to get access, and they can be funny about people that don't subscribe to the magazine, but it's still a wealth of info.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:That Michael Caine bit was hilarious. I kept waiting for the real Michael Caine to walk in and cuss them both out. As a Yank (and that's Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice) I think the Scots accent is the coolest, and the guy on Stargate Atlantis (if you remember that one) was a favorite of mine, just for the accent. And to be fair, wasn't that first video really an Englishwoman doing the bit? @) @)

Wait, I take that back. I don't want to insult all those fine English women over there. So far I have yet to meet an English woman that I didn't like. ;)

So back to washes ... Roy, have you ever checked out the FineScale Modeler website? They have more great info there than you can shake a stick at. You may have to register to get access, and they can be funny about people that don't subscribe to the magazine, but it's still a wealth of info.
Ermm.., yes Gary, I've often looked at Finescale and posted several links here to that site in the past. In fact, when looking for Cromwell builds on there, I chanced upon this amazing piece of fine scale work on Military modelling.
This looks like it's been assembled by an army of highly skilled Lilliputians.
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums ... =64582&p=1

Estniche, thanks for the Timely comic interlude. I have all of the Coogan/Bryden " Trips' on DVD.. :D :thumbup: . It's a pity that the age of the 'Impressionist' (vocal not artistic) seems to be over. These days we're treated to endless hours of talentless (but egocentric) nonentities in so-called 'reality TV shows... >:< The worst example of all is on Ch 4 (state owned..believe it or not). It's called 'Naked attraction', and involves men and women choosing a potential 'date', on the basis of staring at several sets of genitals (meat and two veg, or that that 'crease' thing..). :O :crazy: Yes..and this in the new 'snowflake' puritan age of endless apologies for tiny social gaffes, where folk can commit a serious 'thought crime' by even looking at a stranger on the street, in an appreciative manner.

Thing is, these exposed bits of pudenda weren't even 'camouflaged' for effect. (mosses etc.. :haha: )..Perhaps a piece of netting might have helped.. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

My apologies in advance Roy.

Gary - I suppose you mean Robert Carlyle. Here he is with a bunch of others Scots, doing Scottish accents, Scottish adjectives, and Scottish violence:

phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:This video may help, Roy. And what accent does this guy have? :haha: :haha:

phpBB [video]
Somewhere from the North of England, maybe Manchester or Yorkshire maybe.. :think: But, with his sonorous slightly pompous tone, he could bore the balls off a buffalo. :haha: He lakes over fifteen minutes to explain that, apart from a whiff of perfume, and a milky appearance, new Klear (Pledge) still has the same basic formula and uses as old 'Klear'.... :yawn: :yawn: :wtf:
Meanwhile,my dog managed to wake me up ...it was time for her evening meal.
I looked on Britmodeller, and they have a review of an equivalent clear coat gloss product there:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... ate-agent/ This made is by AK interactive .
&quot;Gauzy' clear coat gloss from AK Interactive
"Gauzy' clear coat gloss from AK Interactive
The thing that intrigues me about painting models, is that some people work from a black and white (highlight) background and then add Camo colours (Dunkelgelb, Olive drab or whatever). My inclination would be to start with the base colour., e.g Dunkelgelb, and then make shade variations of it later for welds, places of high wear and tear etc. Vallejo, and other companies, often produce several shades within the Dunkelgelb shade specifically for weathering purposes. I'd prefer to add some brown, or even black to get these effects..post topcoat, rather than use darker shades as tones to seep through the topcoat. But then, I've a lot to learn :think:
Is it better to work from dark to light . Or light to dark? I did a lot of watercolour painting at school, and the basic technique there is to go from light to dark, maybe that's influenced my tank daubing technique, such as it is.
With water colours, you can't undo dark.. 8O :haha:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I didn't read all of this thread, but where can I get brass etch full option conkers?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:haha:
Going from conkers to bonkers...
Oddly enough, this thread began- appropriately enough- with string!...now it seems to be wandering into painting technique territory via accents, and Britsh regions :D
We aim to be educational :P
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Roy, some guys use pre-shading, some post-shading, and some don't shade at all but use washes and other techniques like pastels or colored pencils to bring out detail. All a matter of personal preference. Personally, with multi color camo schemes I've always applied the lightest color first and worked my way to the darkest. Weathering and washes are a whole different thing, and reminds me of something I learned in an art class that kinda applies here. My instructor told me that when it comes to art there are basically two kinds, art for art's sake (Ars Gratia Artis?) and then there's commercial art. In commercial art, all that counts is the end result, and any lying or cheating you had to do to get there means nothing. That's kinda how I look at weathering. Whatever works to make it look right, and there is no wrong way. To get that dark worn look that a thousand hands can make around the edge of a hatch, I use a plain old number two pencil and a Q-tip. You can see the effect here on this PIII cupola, where the TC's hands rest day after day until the paint has worn through. Continued use prevents rust from forming, so it gets that dark, worn-down-to-the-steel look. Also works great on grab irons, and any other place constant rubbing of hands or feet occur.

And remember that a coat of dulcote seals everything in and provides a fresh canvas. If you think you put on too much pencil and want it lighter between the worn areas, you just dry brush a tiny bit of the original color in that spot to make it the way you want it. On just about every camo job I've done I started with the lightest color, but then after application of the darkest I went back with the airbrush and touched up that first light color. That can also be good for making things look sun faded, with the center of any area being slightly lighter. I touched on that a bit in the video where I painted the P3, first starting with plain old rattle can "afrika mustard" and then lightening that up with dunkelgelb through the airbrush. Yet another method of shading.

I can't wait to see this PIV painted, Roy. What kind of airbrush are you using? Will you be trying to re-create an actual tank, or just making it "period correct"?

Return to “General Questions”