Cheap Gun Emplacement

wibblywobbly
Major

Cheap Gun Emplacement

Post by wibblywobbly »

A couple of hours and it was done.

Create a base by randomly cutting out a sheet of styrene.
Cut another piece as a rectangle so that when it is curved it will fit onto the base.
Use a soldering iron to mark out stonework on the rectangle.
Cut the rectangle so that it looks like a damaged wall.
Place it in boiling water for about 30 seconds until it softens a bit, then drain off the water and tip the wall onto a surface. Now gently put a curve in the wall.
Get the trusty tile cement.
Hold the wall in place and build the cement up along the outer edge to keep the curve in place.
Now daub cement over the rest of the base and up the inner wall.
Leave to dry out a bit for 10 mins (it will still be very wet).
Now gently stipple earth coloured paint onto the base. It will soak in and create a mottled effect.
Paint the wall whatever colour you want.
I added the machine gun from the Bulldog. The hut will become a radio station, I need to build a transmitter mast for the roof.

The empty shell casings are a mystery to me!
I am one of those people that keeps all sorts of rubbish, and Lord knows when I must have had to cut some alloy rods to length, and threw these off cuts into a tool tray. Hey presto...all this time later..and I have some instant shell casings.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Cheap Gun Emplacement

Post by BREL »

nice work Oz
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I can see you being volunteered to build the emplacements for my anti tank guns... ;)
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

lovely work there mate :D :D ;D ... id just hate to see a tank run over that lovely peice of work!! :(
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

I like it. :)
If you build a bigger one you could hide a stug behind it!

Steve.
vonrundstedt
Staff Sergeant

Post by vonrundstedt »

Very nice ;D ;D
"He knows every thing about nothing, and not so much about that, if you know somebody who knows what he knows, then you must know....someone quite thick!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I will build a bigger one, this didn't take 5 mins. I should have built an inner and outer wall so that it had the correct thickness. I really need to get hold of some bigger sheets of styrene, as I only had A4 and its too small for 1/16 scale scenics without joining sheets together.

I quite fancy doing a bunker from the Merville Gun battery, or a tank refuelling depot/fuel storage..except I can't find any pics of one.
Last edited by wibblywobbly on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I'll see what I can come up with - just make it big enough to house a stripped down turret ;)
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

A bit of history about Merville. They are massive bunkers, and British Intelligence were told that these guns needed to be taken out prior to the D-Day landings. A huge air assault was implemented, and huge casualties were suffered by the British Paratroopers, resulting in the ground attack being undertaken by literally a handful of troops who by that point realised that they were on a suicide mission.

A thousand tons of munitions were dropped on the bunkers and never even scratched them.

These guys went in and took the bunkers almost single-handedly, only to find that the 'big guns' were turn of the century small calibre artillery made in Czchekoslovakia??

http://www.1940.co.uk/history/article/merville/merville.htm

The Merville battery is a must see on a Normandy tour. The one you see in the picture is now a museum, and is full of heart rendering letters, personal accounts and photo's, as well as all of the history. All of the rooms have been recreated with German War memorabilia, and every hour there is a full light and sound re-enactment of the attack. The lights are turned out, it is deafening in there. You will also hear a recorded account by Lt Colonel Terence Otway, describing exactly what happened, and that is quite horrific. The bunkers were manned by a handful of German troops, but they fought to the last man to defend the emplacements. It is one of the great stories of the war. Last year a completely restored Dakota was unveiled on the site. It is immaculate.

There you go...now where's my styrene?

Rob G
PS - I would like to be a smarty pants and get a pair of light sensors from Maplins, then rig these up to either a BB Gun, or an infra red unit, so that if a tank broke the beam it would be shot at. It can't be that difficult... :-X
Last edited by wibblywobbly on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

One of the Detroit club members is working on something similar as an automated minefield ;D

I'm also sure there's somebody out there with a microwave or ultrasonic triggered AT gun setup...?

Return to “Battlefield Accessories & Enhancements”