Burned out Tiger

Alfa Three Five
Private

Re: Burned out Tiger

Post by Alfa Three Five »

Markocaster wrote:Magnificent work Image
How did you create the blistered paint effect.
Can’t wait to see it w the smoke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi, I'll try to make it simple (I'll try)

You have 3 ways to do it:

Maskol
PVA / White glue
Using diffent type of paint

For this one I used Maskol.

-1st: Primer

-2nd: Rust tones, using mapping. Rust don't have a uniform colour, I used Tamiya acrylics for this one, other brands like AK interactive, have sets with rust tones but I'm old school and I like to make my own mix of coulours. Here I used Red Hull, NATO Brown, Red Brown, Dark Brown, Red, Orange and Yellow (always use matt colours except on the areas where rust can be polished like on an old display tank). You can also put some pigments on the area where the Maskol or glue will be applied (the liquid will have less grip with the pigments underneath, also when you'll be removing the maskol the under layer will have a nice rust tone too)

For the technique where you're using different type of paint:

Simple chemistry lesson: water based products and pretrol based don't mix. Using that, first spray the rust tones using ENAMEL paint, once dry, used acrylic paint with a BRUSH. The acrylic paint won't stick to the enamel creating blisters. This is more difficult to achive.

-3rd: Maskol or PVA Glue, on the areas where I want to have the paint peeling or blistering, I'm applying Maskol or PVA glue with a brush. Don't forget to overflow a little bit on each side (the rusty area and where you will have the normal paint) and let it dry.

-4th: Paint, now with an airbrush, you can spray the colour you want on top of it. Let it dry.

-5th: creating the effect, with a toothpick or a needle, gently remove the Maskol or Glue where you want to get the blisters.

Once done, you can now play with washes, pigments etc. If you want to get the burned out effect on the paint: spay a thin layer of hairspray, once dry, a mix of flat black diluted with thinner using an air brush on the border will do the job.
Directly once the paint is dry, using a flat brush moisted with water, gently pass over the area and small chips will appears. Also don't use flat black directly but try to create also a mix of tones from dark black to dark grey. This is the result of the consumsion of the paint but also the smoke due to the various internal or satellite components (rubber from the wheels etc)

I hope this answer your question ;)
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Yes, thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
Alfa Three Five
Private

Right, sorry for the delay in posting more pictures but some health issues and busy work get me away from modeling for too long.

Here are pictures I took outside of the first Tiger, I let you judge the result on the outside natural light.
tiger 2.jpg
tiger 1 .jpg
tiger 4.jpg
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Bravo, looks fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Alfa Three Five
Private

thank you
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Astoundingly realistic! I will steal some of your techniques for my future ghost Tiger project. Especially the burnt paint effects. Of course my projects move at the pace of glacier melting.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Welcome back! You have achieved a remarkable effect. I am surprised that you find that "acrylic paint won't stick to the enamel creating blisters." I spray and brush paint acrylics over enamel all the time with no trouble, certainly no blistering effect. I need to think this one over.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

ATF,

Glad you updated this build! As a fairly new member I missed the first post and threads. Amazing life like looks to it! Love the smoke smudges and charred look! Love it! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Battlefield Accessories & Enhancements”