Initial Production Tiger 1 Turret Vent

Is there anything in particular that you want? Ask for it here and see if anybody has what you're looking for.
Forum rules
RULES LAST UPDATED 25/03/2019
Please make sure you are up to date with the Wanted section rules and guidelines before creating a new post. You can find them here: viewtopic.php?t=27359
Jimster
Lieutenant

Initial Production Tiger 1 Turret Vent

Post by Jimster »

The turret vents on the first Tigers looked like pressure cooker lids with a handle. Anybody know of an aftermarket detail part for it? Here’s a pic of what they look like. This one is on a 1/6 scale Tiger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wildboar44
Corporal

Re: Initial Production Tiger 1 Turret Vent

Post by Wildboar44 »

Hey there Mr Jim,

That photo is not a picture of the "vent", is a picture of the factory fitted Deep Water Wading cap or "Tiefwasser-Wadenkappe" which was clamped over the Turret vent to seal off any water ingress should you decide to take your early Tiger 1 and dunk it into a River over 10.0ft deep !. They all rolled out of the Henschel factory with one fitted until the Autumn of 1943 when the idea of deep water wading was largely abandoned. The actual vent looked like this :-
David Brydens picture
David Brydens picture
Aside from the 1/6th scale versions I have never seen the cap in 1/16th scale on the market But with a little bit of thought and the fact that I have a lot of 3D printed 1/16th "wing nuts" in my garage I think I could scratch build one for you...call it "Corona therapy" or as that lovely man the late Roger Ridley from Santa Monica CA of "Playing for Change Fame" once said, " I do it because I'm in the joy business "... Let me know Buddy Mi Casa su Casa. One Tiger tank fan to another.
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Well that sure is kind of you. I just found out the same info when I stumbled onto a site called tiger1.info There’s a lot of info I was unaware of including what you just taught me. I also just learned another tidbit of obscure knowledge. The right side rear pistol port had the slot opening towards the left just like the port on the left side. The photos I used as a reference was the Tiger #100 after it was captured. That right side port was removed during inspection and bolted on backwards. Now I have to fix mine. :crazy:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
If needed still, ABER has it as part of their Tiger brass set for 1/16. I built one and put it on Mike's Early Tiger. It is a skill tester for sure.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
The ABER turret vent armored cover in paint.JPG
The ABER turret vent armored cover in paint.JPG (76.49 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Adding the solder ring and a little putty really smoothed it out.  I'll be using magnets (if possible) to attach this so Mike can remove it to show the actual vent underneath..JPG
Adding the solder ring and a little putty really smoothed it out. I'll be using magnets (if possible) to attach this so Mike can remove it to show the actual vent underneath..JPG (79.41 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Almost there.JPG
Almost there.JPG (82.16 KiB) Viewed 870 times
A little further along.JPG
A little further along.JPG (90.52 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Initial ABER armored cover pieces.JPG
ABER instructions.JPG
ABER instructions.JPG (95.22 KiB) Viewed 870 times
...Here for the Dawn...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Jackpot my brother! You did a hell of good job putting that together and making it look right. I’ve gotta get that Aber set. I don’t suppose you have the part# ?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Found it, Tiger I Ausf E Early Version (Additional Set), and just ordered the fret. Thanks guys. This is going to look great.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jimster!
I was preparing Dinner and saw that you had already found it. The set I used came from Sass to add to his early Tiger. Really made the Build stand out. Looking forward to seeing it used on your Tiger.
regards!
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Wanted”