looking for building info

OdysseySlipways
Recruit

looking for building info

Post by OdysseySlipways »

I belong to RCTankCombat and for the most part we (or at least i hope to have something running soon) run around mainly in 1:6 scale tank but could use some new buildings to run around.

I'd love to build a town's worth, but i have no place to keep that much at the moment. I know there is a lot of different buildings that could be chosen from to build, but i'd like to look at stone walls (used in small town and farm lands), maybe some small farm houses (and structures).

I have done some searches online for information, but never really find anything of use and was just pointed to this site last night (so expect a lot more post and questions from me) and have been looking over some of the threads in here and am liking some (all) of what i have seen.

I have looked on ebay even at model houses, but some of the ones that look interesting are just out of reach and the others would just be too big to be practical at this time.

when built, these structures will have to be able to be taken apart, so i'll be building them to hinge at the wall corners and the roofs lift off and also be hinged. they also woun't be highly detailed as they will be expcted to take hits from the tanks (for the most part this is avoided) and paint balls.

so if anyone knows where i might be able to find plans, pictures and what not of some of these older structures, that would be great - i know things could be just tossed togther but i have always built from plans since i was a kid (might have something to do with my father building plank-on tall ships and other stuff when i was growing up that required plans).

so any help would be appreciated
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: looking for building info

Post by Tankbear »

I searched Internet for pictures of ww2 structures to get ideas and roughly based it on modern stuff to your scale.

A tip for detailing buildings is paint your wood brick od stone colour then draw on the cement with a marker pen. Sounds crude but turns out ok plus from a distance you cant tell.

I've made a few buildings from cardboard boxes but I think at 1/6 scale you struggle with boxes big enough to use.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

I wanted to put togather some houses for our IR battles, I found some ply wood and did this.......

add some hinges....

and kitty has some place to hide...

I have a bunch of these and I can fold them up and load them into the civic and still have lots of room trees( pulled apart fake xmas trees).....one fold down branch xmas tree can net you 42 trees....

OdysseySlipways
Recruit

Tankbear - the problem i was having was the lack of what i was looking for. it seems to always be pictures of the same thing, over and over again or stuff that would have been just way to big.

i know what your saying about penning in the brick. none of these structures will have cement on them. i was going to use plastic sheeting and glueing it tot he plywood, but i'm leaning towards buying a few sheets of the textured materials (brick, stone...) glue at least 4 of them toegther, clean it up, then make a mold and from there, pull fberglass sheets. i figure in the long run it'll save me money and allow me to have a larger detailed surface to work with rather than buying a few packets of the plastic sheeting at a time, that and since i'll be sealing the playwood first with 2 coats of fiber glass resin, the larger sheets i'll make will bond and stay secured a lot better.

with thinking of using boxes for 1:6 scale there are a few draw backs, the main one bing, they won't hold up from being shot by a paint ball. another issue would be someone running into the them by mistake and more importantly, the weather. sometimes it's raining or snowing so they have to hold up to the elements.

but if i could find boxes that would be the correct story height, i might be interested in using them for some mock ups...... maybe for interchangeable designs.

mustclimb - i'll have to see what pictures in the group site ther are that i can get links for as what you have there, someone has done all ready and i plan on doing so myself for some severaly damaged structures, but will need bigger hinges, i have seen them get ripped apart from a tank hit.

doing something like what you have, i would think of mking from some 1/4" plywood and adding some spacers between it to give it a bit more wall thickness and then add the same along the edges to make it look complete and then add on some minor detail. i just need some pictures to go by and possibly a wall thickness.

i'll be posting a new thread about my 1:6'ish scale pill boxes later tonight and then add pictures to the thread of what i have gotten done so far (ran out of funds and supplies at the moment)
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

With paintball, I would not spent to much time on detail, it will just get torn up. Thats why I have gotten into IR battleing. I would think 1/4 inch plywood is what you would want, Its light and tough. If you are worried about hinges just cut notch seam joint like you see in the deviders in a case of wine. That or you can mount some yard spikes on the walls and stick them into the ground. As for plans.....take a 1/6th scale action figure and use it to get your window hight and size, same for the doors.

One thing this hobby has done to me is made me a trash picker, I look for old xmas trees , doll houses, and wood scraps people put out on trash days. I would rather spend money on the tanks, not the stuff to hide behind.

hope this helps.

scott
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

oh, i'm not going to go to the extreme of adding thing such as flower boxes, and street lamps and the likes
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

ok....search "doll house plans 1:6 scale".....

http://miniatures.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi ... plans.html

http://miniatures.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi ... plans.html

hope that helps........
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

OdysseySlipways
Recruit

never thought about doll houses....... will take a look at the links
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

1:6th scale is "G.I.JOE" size and G.I.JOE's are just Barbi dolls for boys..... :D

The club I am a member of has a couple doll houses we picked out of the trash. Hit the windows with some flat black paint and hose down the pink with some flat white paint for white wash and you have a burned out house that folds up into a small package. You can keep your eyes open for some moving/ estate sales in the paper for doll houses...anything barbi will be the right scale.

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”