A Panzerturm for Alpha

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: A Panzerturm for Alpha

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman!
Solid work! ( Literally ) Looks like it would weigh tons with all the 'concrete'.
regards and following along still,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks Mr Wolf, it’s a calming time just poking along at any whimsical pace.
Unlike your current out of doors situation, ours is of course hot, and this project is well and truly powered by air conditioning, Gin, lime and Tonic to assist in reducing the core temp !!

All the PVA had dried on the balsa & seems quite rigid. The pins driven through all the joints help too.
For scale, I had one of the Fallschirmjagar , and I reckon it’s close to right for size.
He could stand in the turret and work it to good effect .
Lower wall trim next
Attachments
FF9D8935-012B-4F96-94B4-18540F341F03.jpeg
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The wall posts are up.
The roof supports are on.
The outer wall supports and infill boards are on and very secure.
High quality woodworking PVA glue has set & locked it all tight.
The heavy cardboard wall panels were roughly coated with a dark umber poster paint to created shadow patches when looked at inside, but they are not obvious in pictures.
Only down side of working with good quality PVA is drying time..............it takes what it takes and needs to be clamped until it is :eh:
Next stage is the lower wall panel details and false door.
I will finish the turret before the roof goes on ;)

If any of our French Speaking members can help please, I need the proper wording for the sign above the right side wall.
I want to have it as :

Gen Alpha's Journaux.............(general Alphas Journaux) but in a correct look & spelling that would be spoken by a local , so any way you decide that is correct is right by me.
I dont want Google Translate on this one as I'm sure you understand.
Plan to have the sign made by a printer, so I need it really right.
Attachments
P1190007.JPG
P1190006.JPG
P1160003.JPG
P1160002.JPG
P1160001.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

A little more.
Looking at the pictures from back in the day, the door is a detail that adds to the deception.
Now I made the roof base slightly lower than it probably should be, but the overall look will still be effective.
The door is of course a false charade, designed to assist with the disguise while not being any practical use.
Using wood shapes from the cheap shop, and a cardboard backing, its turned out ok & near enough to the picture for me.
Door will be fitted later on.
Colours of the various panels are a concern, and I'd appreciate your ideas on what it might have looked like paint wise.
Signs and other markings will also be based on what the building paintwork looks like.

Removable side panels with mesh are next, then the roof.

Can anyone help with the main sign wording please ?( be very helpful to have spoken French version rather than a Google Translate)

Cheers
Attachments
P1240001.JPG
door framing
door framing
P1230001.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Herman!
Beautiful wood work! People often hear that a certain Establishment is a 'Blast!' Literally so in this case. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

It seems odd to me that the the range of fire is limited. Great building so far
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning, Herman!
Beautiful wood work! People often hear that a certain Establishment is a 'Blast!' Literally so in this case. ;o)
regards,
Painless

Ha!.......Good call Mr Wolf, I guess that going to the local newspaper outlet after your morning stroll through security check points and dodging military convoys would make the trip a waste finding the joint fixed up as a bloody bunker :/
I doubt the news would have been much to read anyway .
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

PershingLover wrote:It seems odd to me that the the range of fire is limited. Great building so far
Thanks Mr Lover( :shh: :shifty: )
I would assume that the 'Turm could cover approaches down a long coastal village road, and still be able to take on the other approach behind or beside it with a relatively quick traverse .
Properly supported with infantry, this thing would have been a hell of a surprise to any Allied force coming in without adequate Arial or Artillery preparation.As a delaying measure, it would have worked a treat.
I dont do wood as good as Tank-plastic, so its not very familair.
Worse it the PVA glue..............takes so long to cure, but its tough when it does.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

You know when you see an idea that someone has put into reality & thought....................."why didnt I think of that"

Heres an idea for you smart types out there...............

RAPID SETTING PVA GLUE :/ :eh:

To get the wood sections set onto thick cardboard, that will remain very robust and yet slightly flexible, PVA is the best product, BUT, the damn stuff is so slow to cure that I can only do one side of the panel, then it needs to be held in place, then, it needs 24 hours to really be good enough to handle for the next nights action :/
I've got 4 removable panels, with 4 sections of framing wood on each, you do the maths !!
All the upper panels are going to be removed by pulling on a short lanyard(yet to be fitted) that will allow each panel to fall outwards be removed to expose the turret within.
Each one is a snug press fit into the main frame of the building so they stay put.
Looking at the pictures of the real one, it appears as if the front panel was pulled out from the top & simply lent against the lower wall before the turret went into action.
Now all the side panels are ready, I can get the mesh sorted and then on with the roof.

How am I going so far General ? Is this what you had in mind ?
Attachments
P2210002.JPG
DOOR NOT FIXED IN PLACE YET
DOOR NOT FIXED IN PLACE YET
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Mr. Bix,

Wow, carpentry too! :crazy: There's another thing (besides electronics, and RC tank building) that I'm not too good at! :/ I do it, and do it right, but really don't enjoy it all that much! :lolno: I do however, really like demo! It takes very little skill to smash things!

I think your Panzerturm is looking just fine!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”