Stone cottage 1/16 scale future build

rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Stone cottage 1/16 scale future build

Post by rolling-thunder »

I might be a bit early with this thread but having found a building online i'd like to replicate in 1/16th Scale I started with the research. Reading this forum I found this link http://www.miniaturebricks.com/ {oh heaven}. I don't really think it matters if the materials are 1/12th scale if the construction is 1/16. Doors & Windows & furniture will be 1/16 scale.
It is my intention to use Stone, wood & Tile to build the building & i'm going to search for half moon metal guttering & tube to make gutters & down pipes for the building.
I'm in no rush & i'll be using as close to real building techniques as I can. It is my intention to draw up a blueprint after I have bought the required windows & doors. Door & window sills will be finished stone & the building materials will be rough faced Sandstone http://www.miniaturebricks.com/bricks_w ... ng/l4501ys mortared together with this http://www.miniaturebricks.com/l4001. It is my intention to build the building on a 3 x 2 stone flag {so it's going to be heavy} as recommended to me by my Brother who is a Builder & helped build the local model village. Once a couple of layers of stone have been laid floor joist will be fitted & floor boarding fitted using pins as nails. Once the whole floor is sanded building will continue until I reach where the upper floor Joists will need to be fitted. The inner walls will then be plastered & painted & furniture fitted in place & stairs added. Once i'm at that point the joists will be fitted & floor boards added. When I get to the roof any internal fittings will be added before the rafters will be added. Roof felt will be added & then baton added before the tiles go on http://www.miniaturebricks.com/roofing/ ... es/l1013ov . Pins will be used for nails through out the construction & the roof tiles will need holes drilling for fixing points. As a rough guide I counted the tiles on the pictured models roof & I estimate around 1400 tiles to roof such a small structure {explains why I didn't try a larger building to begin with?} . I'm not adverse to using super glue to fix or help fix certain things in place, as long as it isn't noticeable at the end of the build?
I haven't fully decided if I will be installing lighting within the building as once it is built it will be placed in my Garden as I don't have to space to display such a large heavy item. It also explains why I wish to build using Stone & wood?
Apparently in the model village my Brother helped with all buildings were built on paving flags to ease construction & help the buildings last. Of course they were build using a different faster method which will be my follow up post.
Some people may question the materials i'll be using but I want to see how realistic I can make this building & how long it will last. Once finished the door and windows will be masked off & a clear coat will be applied to help protect the stone work & roofing from the weather but basically the building will just be left in place to weather and age naturally {occasionally cleared of leaves & dirt}. If I install electric it will only be in the form of LEDs run from a battery box which may well be kept in an attached wooden outhouse?
Hopefully i'll be able to update this post next year once I start the build but if any one has sources for scale guttering then i'll be grateful. I might even attempt to make the wooden doors & frames myself if I can find the fittings.
Attachments
27_1-800x800.jpg
35510_3-1.jpg
35510_4-1.jpg
35510french_village_house2.jpg
35510french_village_house2.jpg (51.88 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
35510_2-1.jpg
I am the Law!
rolling-thunder
Lance Corporal

Re: Stone cottage 1/16 scale future build

Post by rolling-thunder »

Following on from my post above I intend building a Church using the more usual model building methods. I'm trying to avoid a hotfuzz vibe with my Church but this will be installed in what will become my Tank running area with in my Garden. I'm not actually trying to make a battlefield village, this is just trying different things out for my own pleasure but then I might as well put them where i'm going to be playing with my Tanks.
Attachments
corfe-castle-model-village.jpg
corfe-castle-model-village.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
This picture gives an idea of the scale of these buildings
This picture gives an idea of the scale of these buildings
Bwmj3VFIcAAJvbr.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
41mZ5LrJFAL.jpg
41mZ5LrJFAL.jpg (18.91 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
godshill-church-in-the.jpg
godshill-church-in-the.jpg (58.11 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
I am the Law!

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”