Battlefield House

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Battlefield House

Post by silversurfer1947 »

There are some very sophisticated buildings on this forum. Let no-one be under any illusion, this won't be one of them. Following on from my success (?) viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21099with my burning building, having got loads of board left over, I thought I would have a go at a larger construction.

This is the basic construction, cut out of 5mm foam board. The board had two advantages, apart form being relatively cheap, as it is very light and very easy to cut.
20161005_111736.jpg
20161005_111736.jpg (24.42 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
Please excuse the hand - the end wall is not fixed yet. Stuck together with PVA. The next stage has been to give the outside a coat of matt black paint, mainly to stop light leaking through the board if its decided too put some "fires" inside. Following this will be a coat of grey primer, to represent the mortar for when I add the stone finish.

I have been requested to ruin the building, so now have to decide precisely how, and whether to do the walls or ruin it first.

It is roughly to scale, being 12" (scale 16 feet) to the top if the front and back walls and 18" wide. The window openings are to fit the windows supplied by Welsh Dragon Models.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Battlefield House

Post by HERMAN BIX »

How to ruin it :problem: :problem:

I know, give it to a couple of kids & ask them to look after it !!

Very nice shack mate, the light effect will set it off for sure.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

This is going to be epic when it's done !!

Top work

John
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It's ridiculous really. Anyone would think I was attacking a £500 tank, but it was with considerable trepidation that I took a knife to my new house. Anyway, this is how it looks now.
20161005_150311.jpg
20161005_150311.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 6886 times
What it's supposed to represent is an AP round has punched straight through the house, whilst some HE has taken out one corner.

The next step is to give the inside a coat of paint, then suitable ruin and otherwise distress the windows, frames and shutters. All the windows come with "glass" fitted, so I'm going to have to break a few windows! Then comes the tricky part - casting the stone blocks onto the walls. Hopefully I can make a better job of it than last time. Slow and steady should be the watch words.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by jtracks »

I like the way this is turning out. Are your plans to make others?
Joe
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It rather depends on the rest of the Bristol Armoured Division. We only have so much room for scenery. I have to say I quite enjoy it. Making scenery seems to come more naturally than working on the inside of tanks! Fortunately, people seem to have liked what I have done so far.
Richard
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Awesome Richard.
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

Couple of questions..is foam board very fragile?..and where can you buy it from??
Cheers
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I got mine from Hobbycraft - it was on offer at the time. It is certainly not a strong as styrene sheet. Basically, it's 5 mm of fine polystyrene foam, with a very thin sheet of clay coated paper, back and front. This is the Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foamcore.

The part about its use says:
"Foamcore is commonly used to produce architectural models, prototype small objects and to produce patterns for casting. Scenery for scale model displays, dioramas, and computer games are often produced by hobbyists from foamcore".

By the time I've finished, if the small house is anything to go by, it is reasonably tough, but a lot of that comes from the box shape, I think. On its own, I don't think it would stand up to much abuse. Also, you have to be careful of the glue, as a lot will just dissolve the foam. Apparently, the water in some glues can cause the paper fibres to warp. I have not experienced any problems using PVA, but then I've only been gluing edges.

There is a different product called closed-cell PVC foamboard which sounds structurally strong in its own right. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-cell_PVC_foamboard
Richard
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

Thanks for the info...I'm planning to do the same sort of thing as you for a display, so I'll be popping down to hobbycraft...
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”