Panzergruppe Tarraco scenery: the Panzodrom

Jussek
Sergeant

Panzergruppe Tarraco scenery: the Panzodrom

Post by Jussek »

hello

as i said to a request from Panzerhun related to the building process of a bridge, i think it's better to create a new Thread here. All this is already posted in two other forums, one Spanish, one German, and i will clone them here just in case someone is interested in the techniques and processes used to our building.

The yard's scenery is just started to be worked on, we are doing the earth movements to make the shape of the terrain, hills, mountains, river, etc...

this would be a long thread. ...

Let me do a little introduction of the evolution of my club’s project.
It all started with me making a ‘little’ 122x60cm diorama for our club meetings (meetings that took place in public parks (where our ‘terrain modelling’ was a bit on the no-no side for the police) and ended up with our group being incorporated to an existing car’s RC club as a new RC Tank section, with access to use a 1600m2 terrain.

We are too few people, only 5 members, with 2 more that usually gave us a hand (or two), so the project is evolving a bit slowly.
The Panzodrom is located in Reus, on the sunny coast of Tarragona.
we have been busy making several components for the scenery.

Our goal is to have… wait, it will be easier if I copy and paste here this info from our fb page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC- ... 0812799552

Disclaimer:
The “Panzergruppe Tarraco” group is an apolitical one, the represented symbols, of any sign or nationalities are shown as a Historical sample of the wearing vehicles. This group does not support any kind of exaltation of any political option from the represented era nor from today. Our aim and motivation is, besides the merge of the model making and the RC, a historical one, trying to reproduce the purely military aspects of the operations, vehicles and soldiers that took part in the events.

Group’s aims:
Our final goal is to have a shaped battlefield with scale accessories, where to run the tanks and all the vehicles of the era (1/16
& 1/18 scale). The battlefield and accessories represented are located on the west front campaigns of WW2. Once it will be finished, the battlefield will have mountains, hills, a river, defensive positions, roads, tank obstacles, bridges, urban areas, real trees & vegetation, a hospital and an industrial zone, all coupled with pyrotechnic effects, battle’s fog and ambient soundtrack.

The main components will be:

1 x Stab bunker with a 2cm Flak38 on the roof – already finished
1 x Wiederstandsnest – already finished
1 x MG-bunker (made from concrete, and it’s not a joke...) – already finished
6 x Verstärkter Feldmässiger Ausbau for 8,8cm FlaK36 – already finished
1 x Verstärkter Feldmässiger Ausbau for 2cm Flak38 Vierling – already finished
1 x Verstärkter Feldmässiger Ausbau for 3,7cm Flak43 – already finished
2 x Verstärkter Feldmässiger Ausbau for 12cm GrW42 – already finished
1 x Beobachtung und Feuerleitungsstelle – already finished
6 x MG-Feuerstellung – already finished
3 x Feldmässiger Ausbau for 15cm sFH18, on the rear
3 x Feldmässig 15cm NbW41, on the rear
2 x Feldmässig 28cm sWG41, on the rear
1 x Feldmässig 32cm sWG41, on the rear
22 x Stacheldrahtverhau sections (84x13cm each section) – 4 already finished
40 x Drachenzähne – 40 already finished
80 x Tschechenigel – almost finished
? 19m panzerabwehrgraben – not started yet
? 10m kampfgraben – not started yet
? 10m annäherungsgraben – not started yet

There has been an intense work of research and documentation. Bibliography and documents of the epoch have been used to try to
make credible and as faithful as possible what we have in mind, at least a great part. The measures, sizes, schemes, positions, etc. They are made in scale 1:18. Evidently it is not a diorama in 1:35 where you can enjoy and add all the details, it will be something usable, 100% functional that we construct to use, and will be "relatively 'easy" to store and transport. What are not to scale, as you can imagine, are the distances and separations between positions.
All this has been born in mind to be modular, to be able to adapt to the terrain, and be able to grow, if necessary.
The goal is to recreate a strong point at the front, with defensive positions prepared with enough time and with intention to last.
Everything is done in 1:18 scale, extracting the measures from the manuals, since the immense majority of figures, vehicles and pieces of artillery are of this scale (except the NbW41s, the GrW42s and the sFH18s, they are in 1:16 scale).
Our first plan was to install all this in this way:

But then we get in touch with the people of the RC cars club and the design expanded quickly, to this latest design (by now):

After this little preface, I will start explaining the different works we had made, we are doing, and we will do in a near future.

the first 'chapter' will be the stone bridge, because it was about it that one form member was asking info about it's building

best regards
Last edited by Jussek on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Jussek
Sergeant

Re: Panzergruppe Tarraco scenery: the Panzodrom

Post by Jussek »

hi again

this is post is dedicated to the bridge.

This took us almost 6 months to finish it. It’s made with polystyrene, parquet floor planks, some wood internal reinforcements,
white glue and paint.

Here you are the internal structure, it’s made from re-used stove’s box protections (hence the form), and then we constructed all
the rest over this nucleus.

the wood profiles reinforcements, it has six more on the interior, placed vertically, like columns, in order to support the 8.5Kg of the KöTi ;D

here cutting the 5cm wide sides (it has one made from 5cm poly and one made from 3cm on each side). for cutting we use a 'thermal saw' made with several electric components and a nichrome wire witch cut the polystyrene like warm butter

the ones made from 5cm styrene placed (not glued yet)

the stairs to go down to the pier

the most external sides also have a higher wall

cutting the lamppost supports and the defences against the water (I've no clue how to name this in English...)

making the balconies

in order to be able to remove the lamppost if needed, and because the wires will go through the styrene, I made a lamppost base where a good strip of wire could be hidden, so it's possible to pull a bit and separate the lamps from the bridge without disconnect the wires. The lamppost have a strip of metal on his base, and a magnet is placed on the "chupito" glasses so they stand firm unless you want to separate them

the batteries carrier with on/off switch, will be placed on the bottom of the bridge

the mire hidden inside the glasses

how do i did the stone-looking on the external wall? with an iron soldier and a wood rule... first mark the lines with the rule and a pen and then use the iron soldering

the first test on a discarded strip of polystyrene

making the stairs

and the walls (the holes purpose is to glue another components)

all the extra components (balconies, water defences, stairs, lamppost supports, and the stone blocks that will be placed on top of the wall...)

the inside part of the 'water defences' or 'wave-breakers'

and now the most difficult part to me... making the roadsway/pavement and side-walks. I used a type of clay that set and hardens without an oven ('set in cold' we say in Spanish)

to make the textures i used two of these rollers:

and this to level the clay

the clay placed and spread

and after i passed the texture roller

after the clay was set, it shrink a bit for some places, and the parquet was visible... if i had thought this first i would have painted the parquet black first! but as i did not thought this, then i had to paint the cracks one by one..

with the sidewalks on place before apllying the clay to them

and after the clay application on the sidewalks

as no tanks would pass over the sidewalk (i hope) it will be painted, but not the pavement, it's grey and will stay grey (mixing white and black clay) so the paint will not be torn off by the tanks...

also made the balconies pavement

the holes you see are for put there the big defences on the entry of the bridge, defences against 'loose' tanks that could damage the walls...
the defences are made from clay glasses filled with concrete and a big M10 steel screw inside

they will have a statue each, after much looking, finally i get these (they will be painted like oxidized bronze)

first... the bronze colour, the clear green for the oxide will be applied later

with the oxide applied

and then... i started to glue all the myriad of pieces! (238 in total)

after setting, the most important task begun... the painting!

actually, the ochre colour was the most used and i had to buy a 500gr can! also yellow and blue colours. if someone want the references i can post them.

the first step... is to sand all the poly in order to get rid of the first and bright layer then use the metallic brush to hit repeatedly the poly, in order to get the stone texture

second step, apply Liquefied putty mixed with grey paint on the separation between stones, a A tedious work...

the side-walks aged and weathered

passing the light's wiring under the bridge

and then glued the external walls!

gluing the other parts

i put also some tubes to pass the wires

more little pieces and detailing

lamppost bases textured and painted

before painting!

best regards
Last edited by Jussek on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

the painting

1) khaki base colour, diluted with water in order to penetrate on the pores (ochre+black+a dot of blue)

2) another pass of khaki, this time less diluted

3) khaki again, but this time stronger colour

4) first effect: ochre+english red

after dry and with daylight

5) second effect: only ochre

6) third effect: ochre + white

7) fourth effect: dampness and dirt marks colour dark dirt green: yellow+blue+ochre+black

now the chains (this is not finished yet), they will be installed separating the sidewakls, made from metacrilate and with a steel screw inside

beginning the installation

that's all for now, some of the bridge's pics take outside in one of our meetings:

best regards
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

i will start to post the defensive positions buildings

first, we have made the Schemes following the german documentation and scaling them to 1/16

FlaK36, FlaK38, GrW42 Verstärkter Feldmässiger Ausbau and MG-feuerstellung measures:

Drachenzähne, Tschechenigel, panzerabwehrgraben tank obstacles measures

Almost all the defensive positions are designed to be embedded/semi buried on the ground

here you are the pics for the process to make the six mg nests:

Cutting the polystyrene

Gluing the poly to the parquet with white glue

Then put white glue on the base floor and on the upper surface of the position and covered all with earth

Once all this is dried, I then soak all again with diluted white glue, so it will become a very hard surface and I glue the bottom
wood planks to the ground (made from ice-cream sticks painted with oils)

Next, I put the iron sheets to the sides

First layer of earth sacks

Second layer, here drying with the sun heat

then I covered the external sides of the sacks with a mix of earth, water and white glue

a quick test of the position on the ground (note that we have not swept clean the surface for big stones)

an indoor test

and then we finished this type of defensive construction

then another member of our club made the lafette 42 supports for the MGs (this guy has magic fingers!)

a quick report of how we make the Czech hedgehogs. Some are made from aluminium L profiles, but the big part are made from plastic L profiles. Glued with thermofusible glue, painted with a spray of black paint and then used orange oils for rust, last layer of Tamiya XF57 mixed with water and applied with paintbrush.

most of these Czech hedgehogs (the plastic ones) will be incorporated on the barbed wire obstacles bases

the supports for the barbed wire:

the barbed wire this time will not be made from real wire, like in the Wiederstandsnest (i will post the making of this position later), it will be impossible to do all these meters and meters of wires! So I used this:

cut from an old piece of a mosquito net, we use this to prevent these little buggers to enter on our houses, installing them on the
windows and doors, I suppose you use something similar and will get my point

the barbed wire obstacles are mounted on 84x13cm bases

here one of them in our ground test, BTW, here you can see also the concrete MG bunker and several dragon teeth (made with resin)

best regards!
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

the Wiederstandsnest

this was y first diorama ever: the Wiederstandsnest: with a PaK40 and two MG42

For this dio, I used a lot of recycled materials, as you can see on the pics. This was my first time making a diorama, so be gentle and take this into account! Maybe the techniques and results could be improved, but I did all this 3 years ago.

all glued with 'carpenter's glue', or wood glue (the white one) then i started to cover the 'structure' with paper wet with wood glue mixed with water:

glued the woods on the floor and sides

the poles that will form part of the barbed wire entanglements:

from cookies boxes i made the 'iron sheets' to cover the sides of the trenches

then covered all with plaster

and started painting the terrain with plaster coloured with acrylics

glued the wood planks to the floor trench, the iron sheets to the sides, and filled the hollows ans recesses with sand and little stones mixed with white glue

nest step, cover all the terrain with real earth, to do this i covered all the surface with white glue, then placed the earth on top

i put different sizes, gravel and 'rocks'

after the glue dried, i then put the shell upside down to make the excess of material to fall down, and repeated the process on the spots that needed it.

then i put another layer of white glue+water over all the surface in order to make it hard

a shell hole and dead tree roots

then i put the first layer of earth sacs (filled with real earth and submerged in water with white glue)

second layer of sacks

then the green

some damage and burnt wood and foliage

the PaK40 painted with crew

and some pics of the 'dio' in use on the scenery:

after the removed earth has dried, the colour is more even and the difference between the dio and the ground disappear

best regards!
Last edited by Jussek on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hi again

a little dio i did some months ago, in order to use two verlinden figures (MG team). did the measurements for the base, cut it, and distributed the components for the scene over it

as the figures were already painted, i protected them with plastic bags. Put the usual mix of white glue+water+soil on the base, also the tree trunk, and pressed the protected figures in place, in order to mark the soil with their silhouette

are you able to see the marks?

after the mix is set and dry, i soak all again with white glue+water, then after drying again it becomes solid

testing the figs

In spite of having marked the silhouettes, you can see that the figure's base is still very visible, but as we wanted to do a fixed scene, they were glued in place and then the silhouette and the rim covered with care

and after the glue was dry, i started to put the green foliage and plants

best regards!
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

this is the turn for the 6 x Verstärkter Feldmässiger Ausbau to be used for the 8,8cm FlaK36 guns. These six positions are almost identical, with some variations on the radio hut, the 'movable' walls on the in and out exits, the type of wood planks to cover the ground walls, etc...

a hint if anyone want to do some of these... we will use the 1/18 scale guns from 21st Century Toys, so i did the calculations to scale the real size to 1/18... BUT... we had the intention of use an asiatam FaMo to transport one of these guns, enter the position and put it into position...only issue is the FaMo is 1/16! so it will NOT enter too well for the 16cm wide exits... :{ :thumbdown: :wtf:

here you are the six parquet (as usual) bases already cut, and some of the polystirene pieces too, we use planks of 3cm and 5cm thick for our builds.

when we did these, our thermal saw was not build yet, so we used simple cutters

'Anton' is already cut

making the radio hut

gluing the parts...

put the wood planks already painted with oils

centring the gun cross

also you can see one of the ammo niches

we will have the gun and crew always installed, so in order to the gun to not move never, we use this (will be painted)

here, while waiting for the ground cover mixed with water and carpenter's glue to dry

while the ground is not hard yet, i put the gun on his place in order to 'mark' the soft earth

second pass of water+glue to harden the ground

after the second pass is dry, you can see the white zones on the ground, this is after eliminated using dry earth, i cover all with it and then put the position capsized so the excess of earth came down

this is the broke-down components of the exits:

covered with wood planks (not painted yet)

on the left, one already completed, painted and 'weathered' and with ground cover applied, the one on the right in only painted

cut several 'trunks' to use as ground support for the crew (every gun has this done in different ways)

with all already dry and with weathering applied

this is 'Anton' finished, also with his gun painted

here you are several more parts of the access and exits system

this is one of the radios

the table and stool for the radio room

as i did'nt like the microphone wire, i changed it for a sewing thread

some more radios

and this is the transport box, when we finish all of the positions, the guns and crew will be glued in place and transported in this box

this is a little teaser of how this will look, exposed on a exhibition:

and in a hole hastily excavated on the ground

and that's all related this model of defensive positions.

best regards
Jussek

Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hello again

time for the 12cm GrW42 positions

in my first try, i did another mistake... i was sure that the mortar was the 81mm version, so i did the calculations for this size... also i used polystyrene chunks Proceeding from discarded parts in order to reuse them

... i opened the mortar box and started to build it, and then... :{ :{ :wtf: :wtf: :thumbdown: 8O

i realized my mistake! sizes of the position where for a 81mm mortar, not a 120mm one... so i had to start it from zero, but this position will be later a observation post or similar...

the mortar building and painting (i also painted several weapons at the same time)

and now, the corrected sizes where used to build the two mortar positions

one of them has an observer post

placing the sand bags

placing ground mix with water and glue all around the sand bags

best regards
Jussek

Panzerhun
Private

Post by Panzerhun »

This is the BEST post here!
If you have more, please loud up!
AWESOME.
Thank you very much!!!!!!!
Jagdtiger the king, but a Jagdpanther the best! ;)

HL KV1e
HL Tiger
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

heloo Panzerhun, i'm glad that you like it! :thumbup:

no more pics for now about the building of the different elements we will use, right now we are doing the ground movements and we have A LOT of work to do... :crazy:

best regards
Last edited by Jussek on Sat May 09, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jussek

Return to “Battlefield Construction”