Sizing a Battle field

hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Sizing a Battle field

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi, I may have a chance of being able to use part of a area in use at present for offroad RC cars or even duel useage of the same area as them.
What sort of size Battlefield is a) the minimum size
b) the maximun size required
I have had tentative talks with the RC offroad car club and there is a small area in a corner of a field (unknown size at present) I might be able to use for tanks only. or if a battle field scene/Layout could be created that would encompass both RC offroad car racing and tanks then a much larger area would be availible. This is an outside venue but I believe it is availible all year round.
The venue is Just off the A1 at Grantham Lincs so access is very easy by road.
So my question is how big an area would be considered as a decent size and does it have to be flat, or are a few dips and hollows as in RC offroad car racing acceptable or does a battlefield need like scale hills? and or what facilities would have to be provided.
Any suggestions would be most helpful so I can have some idea,s next time I see the car club.
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Sizing a Battle field

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Denzil ni min or Max size to a battlefield. But I would say anything below 10m x 10m is on the too small size and if too large tanks be too far awayto hit with the IR system.

Hills and dips are great to hide your tank other wise some basic buildings on flat are just as good.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Okay thanks for the size info, at least I can talk to them and see what area is availible and If no-one minds I'll show them some of the battle field photo's off this forum and see what transpires
Denzil
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Denzil,

We don’t mind you showing them our pictures, after all it’s on a public forum so any one can view them.

You also mention the area is in a corner of a field, although tanks do run on grass it is hard work for them so maybe ask if the grass can be cut (really short) or better still removed so you’ve got dirt.

Another thing to think of is there facilities like WC, food and drink or sheltered area to work on your tank when if breaks (guaranteed at least one tank will need repair during the fun).

Is the land owner willing to give you use free or will there be a fee to pay?

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Ian at the moment I have only talked to the chairman and secretary of the RC car club and I have an invite to go look at the area. Because I have never been to a tank meet I asked the question on this forum. I have read all the comments on the various battlefields on this forum and now with your advice at least I have some idea what questions to ask and a rough area size to look for,(it appears from the FRAG comments that an area 20m x 30m is a good size to go for). Hopefully next tuesday is the RC clubs meet so I'll go along and see whats there and what might be arranged.
As an aside because the area is in a field would a portable generator be enough? for charging the batteries and what size (or how many people charging at one time so I can work out a generator capacity). I was a the secretary of Model boat club for 25 odd years and thats what we use to take to the lakeside for the batteries.
Any way I'll see whats there and if its suitable I'll proberly by back asking for a lot more advice on layouts and tips
I'm hoping to go to the meet at Rochdale on the 20th October and have a look myself.
regards Denzil
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Denzil

I say for now give the generator a miss, easier to take an extra few batteries to power the tanks. Plus some chargers will work off a car battery if desperate.

I should be at Hyde 20th October so if you make it we can chat. Also I'm only 75 miles up A1 so if free could pop down to help.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

As an example, 30m x 30m is what the show organisers allocate as a standard pitch at the military shows around the UK, and this suits us very well. If it is flat ground that is a lot of area to cover with trees, buildings, bridges etc. Then there is the problem of carting it all about. If you have any onsite storage then you are in luck.

Also consider insurance, this is cheap and easy to obtain via RCTR. It only takes one young lad to trip over a tank and his parents will be on the phone to 'SueThemForAnything.com' faster than you can say it.

If the area is open to the public, try to get hold of a roll of the cheap building site plastic mesh fencing and some stakes, trust me, kiddies will wander across a battlefield, pick up tanks by their barrels, kick them, and step on them. The parents will just say 'Ooooh, Tarquin, don't do that'.

Batteries are cheaper than generators, we have one, but as so many have so many batteries, it doesn't get used a lot even over a whole weekend. A 4000mah battery will last for a good while.

Here are a couple of videos showing the size and set up for shows, it may give you an idea of what to go for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy9LRTEardE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHFGqrXt8I
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi Ian and wibblywobbly thanks for your advice I like the swindon layout must have taken hours to setup. Armed with this knowledge I'll go along and see the club and see what the area looks like and take it from there.
As an aside I was contacted last night from the organiser of Rausby War weekend (8 miles east of grantham, Lincs on the A607). They have a 3 day event August Bank holiday each year and he asked me if I would bring along my tanks next year he is going to contact me nearer the time next year maybe if a local club is started or if others are intrested they might like to come along. everbody dresses up in 40's gear.
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Hi how did the visit to the rc car club go?
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

The RC club area is very exposed and is in the middle of nowhere, also its great for mud baths in the slightess dampness, As I have now been looking at indoor facilites I have let this one drop.
Denzil

Return to “Finding a Battlefield”