What smoker

Smoke creating devices!
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

What smoker

Post by MikeHamilton »

I’m in the process of strengthening the hull and deck of my Torro King Tiger and have got it all stripped down. I thought that whilst I’m at it I might as well upgrade a few bits.

One issue is that the smoke unit is pretty puny and would like to add a proportional one.

RC Tank Electronics, from where I’ve just pushed the button and ordered an IBU2U Full and receiver have stopped doing Tarr due to their unreliability.

What are people’s thoughts on Tarr smokers and are there any decent alternatives please?

Thank you.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
leopardgreece
Corporal

Re: What smoker

Post by leopardgreece »

Try G.I. smoker. ..and mega steam smoke oil liquid

???????? ??? ?? SM-N950F ??? ??????????????? Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have always been ambivalent toward smokers in 1/16 armour,
A well serviced engine does not smoke unless it is equipped with an injector to create a smoke screen,
As to my views on Tarr smokers they have always been more reliable in service when compared to the Heng Long/Taigen originals but when I upgraded a tank to the V3 system the Tarr smoker became a waste of space in a PZ4 that needs every inch/mm available because it would not work with that control board,
I now have a far too expensive (£58)"G I Smoker" c/o http://www.forgebeartanks.com which certainly has not disappointed in its output,
Do not forget the smoke oil is as important as the smoker.I use Mega-Steam with good output.
You have bought one of the best aftermarket control boards available and a receiver and hopefully a transmitter to go with it,
When I bought my transmitter from RC Tank Electronics it came with downloaded software so the tank was ready to run immediately after I had initialised the sd card.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’ll second the GI Smoker advice. Heavy duty and trouble free. Easy to fill and the side mounted visible fill tube makes it easy to know when it’s full. Also the owner is super friendly and answers email questions in a timely manner.
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thanks chaps. I’ve ordered a GI smoker for Forgebear.
I’ll let you know how I get on.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
sclui
Recruit

Post by sclui »

I gave in and bought one of the GI Smokers for the Tiger II, just a quick question for you experienced users - the left is from the Taigen/Torro OEM smoker, and the right is on the GI Smoker, polarity appears to be different, and GI Smoker indicated their unit is wired properly and Taigen is wrong. "Overseas, they often interchange the wires because the polarity can be reversed on the small low quality motor and thin heating wire. Your Taigen smoker is wired with opposite polarity. The Baroness 2 that you received is wired correctly."

Any thoughts?

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

My Elmod board has + and a - symbol for the smoker connection. I just made sure to line the red and black wire accordingly. Hope that helps.
sclui
Recruit

Post by sclui »

Jimster wrote:My Elmod board has + and a - symbol for the smoker connection. I just made sure to line the red and black wire accordingly. Hope that helps.
Thanks, unfortunately the v3 MFU doesn't show the +/-. I don't believe it makes a difference on the polarity for the heating element, and for the CPU type DC fans, they don't work when polarity is incorrect. Since my copy of the GI smoker works (both fan & heating element) when used with my v3 MFU, I can only assume GI Smoker somehow wired the smoker correctly under the hood.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Sclui,

I have the the Elmod board too, and the Baroness 2. Just to be on the safe side shoot Jeff an email at modelsmokers@gmail.com It's his company and his babies! He's 100% committed to customer satisfaction and is one of the nicest guy's you'll ever deal with.

Cheers,
Eric.

P.S. I love this smoker...it appeals to the inner child in me! :D
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
sclui
Recruit

Post by sclui »

EAO wrote:Sclui,

I have the the Elmod board too, and the Baroness 2. Just to be on the safe side shoot Jeff an email at modelsmokers@gmail.com It's his company and his babies! He's 100% committed to customer satisfaction and is one of the nicest guy's you'll ever deal with.

Cheers,
Eric.

P.S. I love this smoker...it appeals to the inner child in me! :D
Hi Eric, thanks. this quote actually came from GI Smoker "Overseas, they often interchange the wires because the polarity can be reversed on the small low quality motor and thin heating wire. Your Taigen smoker is wired with opposite polarity. The Baroness 2 that you received is wired correctly."

I think I am fine since the brushless CPU fan on the GI Smoker requires correct polarity to work, and my unit is working with the GI Smoker OEM wiring. I also got an independent confirmation from Erik (Taigen) that the Taigen OEM smoker wouldn't matter with polarity since it uses a brush motor, which is true since the piston is pushing the same direction regardless.

Return to “Smokers”