Acoustic smoker trials

Smoke creating devices!
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Acoustic smoker trials

Post by tom_tom_go »

phpBB [video]

I believe the smoke output is poor because the speaker I am using (8ohms 3watts) is not loud enough but the design seems to work as the louder sound of the horn produces more smoke than the engine running sounds.

The amp is 5watts so I believe this should be sufficient?

The heating element is running at just over 7 volts and increasing the voltage only makes a slight difference in the smoke output from the exhaust.

Any thoughts please let me know!

Tom
Last edited by tom_tom_go on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Acoustic smoker speaker first attempt

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Is the Amp the weakest link? Presumably, a stronger input from the amp ought to drive the speaker harder, and produce more smoke from the unit in consequenece..in theory.
An interesting experiment, nonetheless. Also, I like the loco's 'whistle' sound. :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Just change to a 4 ohm speaker
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

The power supply to the amp is 12v (max allowed) so I don't think this is the issue.

I did try a physically larger sized 4ohms 2watt speaker I ripped out from a broken music dock but this performed worse than the current speaker.

I managed to order the AuraSound Cougar NSW1-205-8A 1" speaker that seems to have been used by most of you on here from an European supplier so I will see how that performs with my amp.

What wattage does the sound amps in the popular RTR tanks run at out of interest?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tom_tom_go wrote:The power supply to the amp is 12v (max allowed) so I don't think this is the issue.

I did try a physically larger sized 4ohms 2watt speaker I ripped out from a broken music dock but this performed worse than the current speaker.

I managed to order the AuraSound Cougar NSW1-205-8A 1" speaker that seems to have been used by most of you on here from an European supplier so I will see how that performs with my amp.

What wattage does the sound amps in the popular RTR tanks run at out of interest?
Wayne's suggestion makes sense. Maybe you could use a simple inline variable resistor/ rheostat like the volume switch that comes with Taigen tanks? (HL now use a button on the TX)
When my old iMac died, I took the speakers out for 'may- be -useful- someday' reasons. But chucked them, when decluttering. Quality speakers like those, however, are small enough for tanks, and locos.
Maybe get one from an old Roberts radio. They made great wee speakers. :thumbup:
A quick look at the IBu2 and Clark T60 models, shows that their amps are rated at 15 watts respectively.
I don't think that HL and Taigen advertise the power ratings of their amps, but I could be wrong.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

This is the amp I am using (the website is wrong regarding the amp wattage, it is 5watts):

https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Sound-Sys ... d5mSDT.htm

The volume is adjustable and I have it on max.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tom_tom_go wrote:This is the amp I am using (the website is wrong regarding the amp wattage, it is 5watts):

https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/Sound-Sys ... d5mSDT.htm

The volume is adjustable and I have it on max.
I don't think 5 Watts is probably enough. :problem:
A 15W amp could be run on a 7Vdc (and up) at roughly 4 ohms. This corresponds approximately with the output of the IBU2, and Clark tank units, to speakers, I guess. They can make quite a din! A quality speaker can make a quality din :lolno:
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Thinking about this on a loooong drive today, you’re relying on the speaker to move the air for your smoker hmmmm...
If you put a low pass filter set at about 150 to 200Hz it will get rid of all the high frequency “fluff” which should give you a nice visible pulse exhaust.
Get a decent 4ohm speaker & give it a blast
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

What a difference a speaker makes!

phpBB [video]
midlife306