Acoustic smoker trials

Smoke creating devices!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Acoustic smoker trials

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, Tom, like Wayne, I'm wondering what speaker you're now using in order to achieve that increased output? :|
By the way, have you seen this acoustic smoker setup before, in a King Tiger? This one looks eco-unfriendly, really but convincing, at the same time. Cough, cough!
phpBB [video]
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Remarkable results please do tell all the details :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

I like the acoustic smoker setup in that King Tiger (that's on the shortlist for my first tank purchase as it has lot's of space inside for modifications).

My version of an acoustic smoker is similar to strmnd54 efforts using the same speaker (Aura Cougar NSW1-205-8A) which has made all the difference from my first attempt!

The smoke unit is cut from a 2018 Heng Long smoker and the only mod on that so far is I screwed the top the other way round so the heating element is not blocking the original air hole on the side (where the piston would be to pump air into the smoke unit). I am running the heating element at around 7v using JT's Mega Steam.

Once I get it all fitted inside a loco I will see if further adjustments are required but pleased with it so far ;D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, that KT setup makes smoke absolutely proportional, and in sync, with the engine revving. That's one cool set of effects all round. Judging by the hermetically sealed setup of speaker and box, it has to be the back pressure from the speaker, channelled through the smoke chamber, that drives the smoke out. :) A very neat solution. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

Not happy running this at such a high voltage, it get's very hot over a period of time.

The speaker set up works fine, the issue is the heating element as at a lower voltage not much smoke is produced but at a higher voltage it belches out smoke.

I can't find a wire round resistor to suit so I was wondering if a heating coil of some sort would work?
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

Snug fit but it works!

phpBB [video]
Vertigo
Private

Post by Vertigo »

Good thread this, great work.
Seen a few threads on acoustics but can't find the detail on how the speaker is attached and the flow managed.
I assume the standard unit has a one way valve to ensure the air only goes in the inlet. Is this still in place when you attach the speaker?
Ive not seen any details for a valve on the home made smokers.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

The plastic cap that covers the speaker is from a handcream product (I obtained various plastic caps from around the house before I found one that fitted!)

The nozzle hole is unmodified on the plastic cap and is around 4mm. The crucial part of making this particular acoustic smoker is the air gap between the speaker and the smoke generator:
IMG_20190309_194442-01.jpeg
IMG_20190309_194432-01-01.jpeg
The original air hole on the smoke generator is plugged with a screw and PTFE tape and a new hole was drilled on the opposite side so that the speaker cover could be centralised. I used epoxy glue to attach the speaker cover + smoke generator to the piece of wood that provides a suitable air gap as this can withstand tempature change.

It's all very much trial and error and the speaker, heating element voltage and amplifier will vary results.

Return to “Smokers”