Request: EU source for correct type wirewound resistors

Smoke creating devices!
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Request: EU source for correct type wirewound resistors

Post by Jay-Em »

I’m trying to find wirewound resistors to make my own smoker. However, there are two questions remaining:

-What wattage and ohm- value is exactly needed?
-Where to buy the forementioned wirewound resistors?

All I can find is a glut of big, aluminium cooling bodied- and cement covered wirewound resistors.
The best I can do is 1 Ohm @ 2 Watt or 1,2 Ohm @ 3 Watt . Would that work? Or would it eat through my battery?

Or could I take those ceramic/cement covered blocks, remove the outer ceramics and use the resistor in that way? The thing is, the choice in ceramic resistors is way more varied afa wattage + Ohms go.

I’m kind at a loss here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Request: EU source for correct type wirewound resistors

Post by Max-U52 »

I use 10-ohm 1 watt wire wound resistors that I get from digi-key. If you need a link I'll get you one when I get home from work. I'm pretty sure they ship worldwide.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

I know of that site. Point is that they ask €18.- for shipping, even if one orders a small quantity that would fit in an envelope.

I think I’ll search by type within the EU. It would be odd if the type of wirewound resistors wouldn’t be available overhere.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Glad you posted that, Mick. I was wrong, they came from Mouser

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/594-AC01W10R00J

I don't know if they ship internationally, but if they don't, I'll pick up some more and send you a few, Jay. I can stick them in a letter and send them for about a buck, so it's no problem. It may take a while, but one way or another we'll see you get some.

If you're building an acoustic smoker I think Normand uses a slightly smaller resistor, and he has a thread somewhere if you need it. I'm pretty sure i can find it if you need it.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

Thanx guys, but farnell UK alsó asks exorbitant p & p. 18 quid. They must be barmy... Even the Dutch branch does that.

For now I got myself some cement-filled ceramic resistors of the right value, and am going to try to get the small ceramic block off without breaking the windings.

I’ll keep You people posted. If it works, it would solve a lot of problems with sourcing wirewound resistors overhere.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Try this
http://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=AC0100 ... %2C%205%25

i think it's the consumer rather than the trade outlet. Incidentally, if you click on Gary's mouser link, it comes up with the option of either UK or Europe link.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Jay-Em
Corporal

Post by Jay-Em »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Try this
http://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=AC0100 ... %2C%205%25

i think it's the consumer rather than the trade outlet. Incidentally, if you click on Gary's mouser link, it comes up with the option of either UK or Europe link.

Gives me an “Access Denied” 403 error. :( aaand now it suddenly works. However, export outside the UK only via “export coordinator” with.. of course.. hefty shipping costs as a result. :/ Back to square one...

Nope. Not going to jump through hoops. I’ll stick to my opened ceramic resistor option for now.

Thanx anyways.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That's a 10 watt resistor, Mick. He needs a 10 ohm, 1 watt resistor.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Max-U52 wrote:That's a 10 watt resistor, Mick. He needs a 10 ohm, 1 watt resistor.
Thanks for the correction, Gary.

This link migh be better then https://m.ebay.com/itm/1-Ohm-10W-Precis ... Swol5YwqV-
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Smokers”