Tarr Mk 2 conversion to Ex-Smoker

Smoke creating devices!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Tarr Mk 2 conversion to Ex-Smoker

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

tao wrote:I would just replace the whole unit with a TARR unit. The heating element is bullet proof..just a great and reliable unit all around.
I considered it, but I have read a lot of complaints about it not making enough smoke. I also like the pulse effect of the stock smoke generator...

I have another generator that I moded myself and puffs tons of smoke, that needs a new heating element too.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Very nice! If you want more smoke on the TARR you can add a little voltage regulator and adjust it up and also speed up the fan.
I prefer the TARR set up as an acoustic smoker as it syncs with the engine sounds like a real motor. Build is on the thread under smokers Normand perfected it.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Yes, I agree (still) that the Tarr unit is the way to go, but if you want the pulse effect then the acoustic option is clearly the next step.
Regarding heating elements I think the ones used in the Tarr are excellent but I have no idea if/where you can buy them separately.

Smoke output wise the new 12v Tarr I just installed in my KT is just incredible -overkill really. I opted to swap the 12volt fan for the 5v on the old Tarr so it runs perfectly off the Clark board. Using Megasteam I set the Voltage stepper to 12v to start with and it was just ridiculous, I mean belching out huge clouds far beyond any sense of realism. I ended up, weirdly, backing off the voltage to about 8.5v which then produces just about what the Mk2 heater made. I'm now wondering if the Mk1 12v is only different in terms of the fan voltage (the heater is actually physically much smaller than the Mk2)?
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Good point..I think Ian ran his TARR early version on 14 volts for hours with no issue so I think either model have great heating elements so it might be the fan that is 12 volts.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

tao wrote:Good point..I think Ian ran his TARR early version on 14 volts for hours with no issue so I think either model have great heating elements so it might be the fan that is 12 volts.
Right, in which case I didn't gain anything opting for the 12v version (although as it turns out I didn't loose anything either as already had the 5v fan). All of which makes me think the Mk1 (metal) Tarr is probably the better option in most cases. To be honest I opted for the Mk2 originally because the Torro KT I was putting it in is fairly roomy and I thought the extra capacity would be useful.

Btw, I like your idea of a transparent level tube (bit like an electric kettle?) on the side of the Tarr (if I have understood you correctly) and that would, I think, be a great upgrade. In fact if there was a version like that I'd be happy to pay the extra for it :D .
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Yes a few ways to do it.. a tube or I was thinking of attaching a small clear box (like the clear plastic bottom of the thing that holds a thermometer) which would be small but show the level and add a bit of extra fluid) Agree something like that or a clear base etc to show fluid level would a nice selling point!

Return to “Smokers”