Tarr Mk 4 conversion to Mk 2?

Smoke creating devices!
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Tarr Mk 4 conversion to Mk 2?

Post by Dr Phibes »

I'm upgrading the MFU in my King Tiger and after some deliberation the new board I have decided on (Clark TK24) has proportional smoker output built in.
Hence, I no longer need the proportional output from my Tarr Mk 4. I could just buy a Mk 2 of course but it seems to me that it should be a simple enough matter to bypass/remove the proportional regulator board that sits between the Tarr and the motors on the Mk 4 (and Mk 3) version.

Can anybody offer a little guidance/advice on this?
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Tarr Mk 4 conversion to Mk 2?

Post by Tankbear »

Cut the two wires from TARR to the regulator and join them.

Although I've not tried it.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks Mr Tankbear, I kinda thought that was the way to go, but not having taken the lid off I wanted to be sure. Actually I thought I might install a plug with a jumper, that way I can plug the regulator board back in if I swap things around again later on.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

For the TARR heater element I found a little voltage step up is nice tweak the smoke output levels. I like between 8.5-9 volts.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

How do you step up the voltage? I'm presently using 6 cell NiMh (5000mh) and full charge it only makes about 8.6v with a quick drop under load (nominal around 7.4v). To utilise the proportional output from the TK24 I obviously have to take the smoker output off the board (I think this is around 7.2v - 7.4v max) so how do I step it up?
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Little step up that you can up the voltage with from the 7.2 (holds the power more steady too) most of these little audio amps like 12 volts so I use it for that too.

SUNKEE LM2577 DC-DC Adjustable Step-up Power Converter Module

Price:$6.95 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Output voltage: continuously adjustable (4-35V)
Output Current: 2.5A (MAX)
Module size: 49 (mm) x26 (mm)
Input mode: IN + input positive level, IN-input negative

Del
Corporal

Post by Del »

Tankbear wrote:Cut the two wires from TARR to the regulator and join them.

Although I've not tried it.
I've tried it and it works fine. :thumbup:
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks Del, good to know it works ok.

Tao, thanks, I been buying the Sunkee step-down boards for years and didn't even think about them also making a step-up board :O

Anyway, found the board on the Uk site no problem but it's about twice the US price and no Prime shipping. However I did find this:

Cheaper and free shipping, also has display for easy tinkering - do you think this one will be ok too?
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

They all should work. I used that one..and display helps but I also double check with a little volt meter too.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Dohh, I'm getting old timers disease I think - got the board the other day and found it to be an experimental voltage stabilizer/regulator not a step-up. It is however a really nice board and I don't have one so it's all good as they say.

Got a proper voltage step up now but one thing occurs to me; the board outputs a steady voltage (up) regardless of the source voltage (as long as it is less than the target voltage). But if this is the case it will over-ride the proportional output from MFU as this is controlled through voltage output to the smoker?

Return to “Smokers”