Tarr Mk 4 conversion to Mk 2?

Smoke creating devices!
tao
Staff Sergeant

Re: Tarr Mk 4 conversion to Mk 2?

Post by tao »

Proportional is for fan speed correct? So wire someplace right from the battery directly to smoke unit resistor. Also this way the smoke unit will heat up before the fan starts. You can also wire in a on/off switch or leave it so when you turn main power from the tank on the smoke unit will begin heating up etc.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Ok, yes I see what you mean, I didn't think about separating the fan supply from the resistor/heater unit or I could, as you suggested previously, convert the Tarr to an acoustic smoker. Actually this seems another good reason to convert as proportional output is then determined by the smoker's speaker/drive unit (if my thinking is correct on this).
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

You got it! I have one TARR non acoustic in StuG with this set up so when I turn tank on the element heats up before the fan starts and with the acoustic ..the sound starts. So there is a good start up with smoke.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Just an update - yep did it and it works great wired in the voltage step up direct off the battery (via a the switch I had on the Clark board), put a jumper on the board switch and connected the fan to the proportional output on the TK24.

What a difference this made! wow! First off I checked before firing up was the output on the voltage step up - good thing I did, it was pumping out 18.5 volts! 8O Set it to 8.3v, turned in on and of course immediately the Tarr starts heating up. Then when I started the engine it bellows a big cloud just like a real motor would, and the smoke afterwards pours out heavy, which is great outdoors. :thumbup:

I found the optimum for me was 8.1 volts but I am still experimenting. This a good mod for the Tarr smoker.

Next I think I will try swapping out the fan for the acoustic set up! :D
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

The acoustic is really cool in my view as it really mirrors and replicates the engine sound..very noticeable
on idle and with short acceleration..it is fun playing with engine sounds to see how it translates. Just get a separate
amp and or volume control on the small acoustic speaker so you can adjust the smoke output per the overall engine volume.
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

Thanks, so what speaker would I need for the Tarr?
And am I right in thinking you run this in parallel with the main speaker, either off an additional amp as you suggest or via a separate volume control?
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Aura Sound NSW1-205-8A 1" Extended Range. Yes mirror sounds of main speaker :)

Return to “Smokers”