TARR w/acoustic smoker set up picture

Smoke creating devices!
tao
Staff Sergeant

TARR w/acoustic smoker set up picture

Post by tao »

Somebody asked me to post a picture and video.
Video next but this is the set up (the only thing not in this picture
is the 12 volt step up going to the amp-that's stuffed down near the speaker.
Attachments
Tiger I with TARR and Acoustic smoker.jpg
tao
Staff Sergeant

Re: TARR w/acoustic smoker set up picture

Post by tao »

Only thing I changed was- removed the fan on step up/down voltage regulator and just put a few small aluminum heat
sinks on. Also running at @ 7.5 volts which produces plenty of smoke. But like the adjustment capability.
Using megasteam which works very very well. Speaker on top slips right out of cup so you can fill though that port.
(Those mini energy drinks are the right size also for the speaker cup also)
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Sunkee DC-DC Converter Module Step up and down In 3.5-28V Out 1.25-26V Adjustable (LM2596S+LM2577S)

All power just linked into on board battery. The smoker-I dial it up to a little over 8 volts and I like that I can adjust it. That is for the AMP runs best on 12 volts so another little step up to get it to 12 volts. I think that one was off ebay but any little step up will work.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Once it starts does the speaker push it out okay? If that is the case and getting that little gap just right is a bit tricky. I also added a little silicon on some that were "leaking" smoke but you do need that gap.

It is normal for maybe a 30 sec to min warm up to really get it ready. Then upon engine start up it works great.
A few things to check with just the TARR itself: The wick is centered on the resistor and wick is going down under the cotton into plenty of fluid. All the electrical connections are solid. Battery is good and fully charged. Having said that- more voltage will get it to heat up faster and smoke more. I find about 8.5 works best. The step up also holds the voltage steady as the battery drops.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Not sure what sound system you are using but I created some nice punchy sound files..especially idles that shows off the acoustic.. if you would like them in wav. files my email is osikasculptor@yahoo.com

Tom
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Yes that sound pipe should be aligned very well with a 1 mm gap- when that is done it works very well.
The voltage regulater for the TARR is the Sunkee step up/down at that link.

The RX-18 isn't strong enough to power the Acoustic speaker.
The stock oil and mega work about the same but the mega steam is cleaner.

What I did (using TBS mini) was to use the two way amp to power the main speaker and the one inch acoustic. Though on my final version I added a pot- 50 ohm after the Amp to be able to adjust the volume down on the acoustic speaker (volume adjustment should be made going into the amp but I had no choice with the set up as the amp doesn't have separate volume controls)
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

I appreciate this is an old thread but I would be interested to see photos of the actual smoker with the speaker and housing as the TARR unit has multiple holes on the lid (one for air and then two holes for the fan screws) so have you plugged these additional holes?
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Yes sorry no have not been on forum for a long time..but yes plugged up the fan holes. So just one hole for air/sound input from little speaker. Basically I just followed the very old instructions of the original set up on the forum and just used the Tarr as the smoke unit and mounted the speaker on top. I did think though I saw a great idea where is seemed the main speaker box had a small tube running out to power the smoker? Not sure if that was the set up but is even more simple if it works.
But the set up using the small speaker on top for sure works.
tom_tom_go
Recruit

Post by tom_tom_go »

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Smokers”