TARR smoker max safe voltage?

Smoke creating devices!
tao
Staff Sergeant

TARR smoker max safe voltage?

Post by tao »

I heard people using these with 11.1 on trucks? What is the safest top voltage you would recommend so as to create smoke
but not burn it out? (may use as a basis for acoustic smoker) Thinking just running straight off of battery is the best bet?
Thanks! Tom
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: TARR smoker max safe voltage?

Post by Tankbear »

I've run one for direct off a 11.1v LiPo for about 30 minutes. It was a MK2 (plastic) version and the container did feel warm after the 30 minutes but not too hot to handle.

I guess as long as you keep fan running you should be okay direct off the battery.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I think you should be fine with 3S lipo which is 11.1v as Ian said. The only think that I would be worry about is the fan, but it looks like one of those PC fans which means you should be good for at least 12v. When I hook it up to the 3S lipo directly, I didn't actually notice the fan going much faster than when it is hook-up to the 7.4v so it might have tap out already anyway.
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Thanks guys! I may play with the voltage a bit and see but seems that the resistor hold up well to
more than the 7.4 and 9 or so may be ideal. I'm going to use a power inverter to push the volts
to 12 for the speaker amp then maybe use a little voltage regulator to drop it down to 9 for the smoke unit.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Personally I wouldn't go over 9.6...ran a plastic Taigen unit with a 7.4 lipo direct current...the element got so hot it almost burned through the shell...still have it as a reminder as the element and the arm that holds it is securely melted into the fluid tub
TARRs are metal...thicker element ..it should handle a 7.4 direct with no problem ...but I really wouldn't go over 9.6...just to be safe

ALPHA
tao
Staff Sergeant

Post by tao »

Thanks! Going to try direct and up to around 9
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tao wrote:Thanks! Going to try direct and up to around 9
Good Luck Tao....You will definitely get a lot of smoke :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tao...played with mine last night....found if you put a half shroud on the fan...on the side next to the output hoses...you get a lot more smoke :D

ALPHA

PS. Not to close to the fan blades...leave some space otherwise some of the back turbulence will cause the fan to whine...so the shroud cut at an angle works best :D

Return to “Smokers”