AK Real Colors - Dunkelgelb...

For any reference material such as detail pictures that don't fit into the other categories. Please name your threads accurately!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

AK Real Colors - Dunkelgelb...

Post by Marco Peter »

Wait, What?!? 2018 and no Dunkelgelb discussion yet? Let's start one again haha!

My current project is a zimmeritted Panther and since I love Dunkelgelb and recently got AK Interactive's new set of 'Real Colors' I tried it on my tank right away!

Well to me it was way too light! And since I care more about if I like it then historical accuracy, I tried the other three as well to see what I liked most:

Hmmm not much different in the first two, although they are WAY more yellowish then the first color I tried, which is on the right. The third color is kinda in between but more like the last one.

Here you can see more difference between number one and number two.

All didn't feel right since I also purchased their 'Real Colors' book, color-checked and all, those colors should be very precise...

These are my samples compared to the color sheet they supplied:

Historical RAL References

But how do my own samples of the paint I sprayed compare to these? Well, actually pretty well:

Those look pretty accurate...

But, are my samples the same as on the tank? Should be, since they are the exact same paint! And yes:

So... What is my 'problem'? Well, it seems a color that is correct in a small square appears much different on a whole tank!
The color I used the first time was extremely light but in the book is almost green/blue/grayish, and still the colors are the exact same!

What do YOU like? :D
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: AK Real Colors - Dunkelgelb...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A fascinating and well researched insight into Dunkelgelb, Marco. :thumbup: :thumbup: For those of us who actually enjoy watching paint dry, and those with nerdish tendencies (many here I suspect :D )..this will be a 'go to' thread- as our American cousins might say. :)
My inner nerd is already wondering why I've not tried AK colours yet. 8| Ahhh., maybe it's because I already have Vallejo, Mig Jimenez, and Tamiya to try out. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

43rdRecceReg wrote:My inner nerd is already wondering why I've not tried AK colours yet. 8| Ahhh., maybe it's because I already have Vallejo, Mig Jimenez, and Tamiya to try out. :D
The regular AK colors didn't really do well in my Airbrush. I love Vallejo, unfortunately MiG didn't turn out so well. My semi-favourite Dunkelgelb is XF-60 by Tamiya as it's quite light but nicely darkens when weathering.

I'm a happy man. 8)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tom Hugill some years ago raised a very important point about Tank Colours and scale, He pointed out that the Colour of a full size Prototype when using the exact shade as used on a 1/16 Tank will look quite different.
It is true Size really does make a difference. :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

jarndice wrote:Tom Hugill some years ago raised a very important point about Tank Colours and scale, He pointed out that the Colour of a full size Prototype when using the exact shade as used on a 1/16 Tank will look quite different.
Cool, is there a link to this, was it on this forum? :-)

I'm a happy man. 8)
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Just as a side issue, AK Interactive was originally founded by Fernando VALLEJO and MIGuel JIMENEZ (Familiar names?) There was what seems a very acrimonious bust up just over 4 years ago when Miguel Jimenez was fired. Senor Vallejo still owns AK Interactive, I think.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Marco, Yes it was on this Forum but it was some time back and I cannot remember where on the Forum you should look.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Tom most likely knows! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a happy man. 8)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Marco Peter wrote:Tom most likely knows! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Marco, look up scale effect painting.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... -painting/

This looks promising. The TLDR is the smaller the scale the lighter the colours should be. A good example seems to be olive drab where most olive drabs you buy are much lighter than the real thing. When some one uses a real olive drab in my head I find it looks too dark and not pleasing to the eye, but that's personal preference!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Thanks, interesting discussion!

This made me smile haha!

I'm a happy man. 8)

Return to “Other Reference Material”