Peddinghaus RMASG decal sheets

The news page threads are posted here. Threads posted here appear as a news article on the news page and on the front page of the website.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Peddinghaus RMASG decal sheets

Post by sassgrunt »

I have had a Ludwig Cromwell kit for some time now, and wanted to build it as a Royal Marines Armored Support Group 'Centaur' gun tank of the Normandy invasion. One thing that always held me up from making any real progress was the lack of decals for the compass markings on the turret. (Even with ample shots of stiff booze, I wouldn't be game enough to attempt them).

Peddinghaus does already make a set for a RMASG M4A4 named 'FOX' complete with turret markings, but the markings are not adaptable to the Cromwell turret. I wrote to them and asked if they could scale up their 1/35 Centaur sheet to 1/16, and Lo And Behold - they did it! A link to the sheet for 'VIDETTE' is posted below, (it has the stock number of 35-3594 but it is 1/16). They also make a set for the Centaur tank 'HOOD' which is listed as stock number 35-3595, but it is also 1/16.

I recognize that there are probably very few people who are also interested in building one of these Centaur close support tanks, but if you are - here's your chance! -Mike

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peddinghaus-De ... :rk:2:pf:0
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Peddinghaus RMASG decal sheets

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I don't know what amazes me more, Mike: the Peddinghaus decals ( :clap: ), or the fact that you prevailed upon them to produce a 1:16 version. :) For those unfamiliar with the Centaur IV (it's a de-tuned Cromwell with a 96mm howitzer instead of a 6-Pounder, or a 75mm cannon, and without the trusty R-R Meteor engine). ...here's a pic of the very tank Mike has referred to:
Centaur (Cromwell) Mk IV Marines ASG.
Centaur (Cromwell) Mk IV Marines ASG.
centaur-tank.jpg (97.04 KiB) Viewed 3144 times
You know if I'd not gone down the standard Cromwell Mk IV route, Mike, the Centaur would have been a good option, as that stubby howitzer barrel could be attached to a BB unit. The 6-Pounder barrel supplied by Chris Ludwig for my version, is too scale accurate to even allow a flash unit to fit down it; let alone a 6mm BB. In fact, there's precious little room in the turret for any standard HL/Taigen/Tamiya recoil or BB units.
:think: I came up with another solution: Clark printed recoil and twin servos.
Some Cromwells were issued to Recce (Recon) units within British divisions. Since my Dad was in the 43rd (Wessex) Division's Recce unit, I wanted to find suitable markings to put on my Cromwell. This would have been a bit fanciful, as I've not found evidence yet that they had them. Still- you get the picture. No luck so far. I believe that the 51st Highland Division's Recce Unit may have had a few Cromwells; so that's another option.
I wouldn't let the decal challenge stop you from getting your Centaur up and clanking though. I'm sure it will be fairly unique here. :thumbup: Get cracking, Mike!
This is how far I got with my Cromwell:
The interior:
Cromwell Mk IV- Ludwig model with wiring
Cromwell Mk IV- Ludwig model with wiring
..and this is what Oliver looks like pending weathering and appropriate decals:
Cromwell Mk IV- awaiting trials
Cromwell Mk IV- awaiting trials
I'd love to see pics of the Centaur with those azimuth targeting markings on the turret! They're really quite a novel sight on a Tank!. It makes it look like a giant compass, with the barrel as the needle. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ignorance and lack of education being what it is,just how do those markings work ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:Ignorance and lack of education being what it is,just how do those markings work ?
The simplest explanation I could find, Herman, is here (not that I'm implying you need a simple explanation. I think we all do :haha: )
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/g ... entaur.php
I have a standard (translucent) walker's compass with similar markings on. It would have been no use when I broke my ankle though 8O ....the grid reference I gave the Ambulance was "My...effing garden!!"
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I don't know what amazes me more, Mike: the Peddinghaus decals ( :clap: ), or the fact that you prevailed upon them to produce a 1:16 version. :) For those unfamiliar with the Centaur IV (it's a de-tuned Cromwell with a 96mm howitzer instead of a 6-Pounder, or a 75mm cannon, and without the trusty R-R Meteor engine). ...here's a pic of the very tank Mike has referred to:
centaur-tank.jpg
You know if I'd not gone down the standard Cromwell Mk IV route, Mike, the Centaur would have been a good option, as that stubby howitzer barrel could be attached to a BB unit. The 6-Pounder barrel supplied by Chris Ludwig for my version, is too scale accurate to even allow a flash unit to fit down it; let alone a 6mm BB. In fact, there's precious little room in the turret for any standard HL/Taigen/Tamiya recoil or BB units.
:think: I came up with another solution: Clark printed recoil and twin servos.
Some Cromwells were issued to Recce (Recon) units within British divisions. Since my Dad was in the 43rd (Wessex) Division's Recce unit, I wanted to find suitable markings to put on my Cromwell. This would have been a bit fanciful, as I've not found evidence yet that they had them. Still- you get the picture. No luck so far. I believe that the 51st Highland Division's Recce Unit may have had a few Cromwells; so that's another option.
I wouldn't let the decal challenge stop you from getting your Centaur up and clanking though. I'm sure it will be fairly unique here. :thumbup: Get cracking, Mike!
This is how far I got with my Cromwell:
The interior:
Cromwell wiring Pic A.jpg
..and this is what Oliver looks like pending weathering and appropriate decals:
Cromwell awaiting tune up.jpeg
I'd love to see pics of the Centaur with those azimuth targeting markings on the turret! They're really quite a novel sight on a Tank!. It makes it look like a giant compass, with the barrel as the needle. :D
Sorry to go off track, but fitting a flash is possible, if not fiddly. Mine was achieved with a 3mm led and running the two wires down the barrel without plug attached, the. Soldering the extension with plug once the wires were through!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Tom. No, that's right on track :thumbup: I'm sure it'll be useful to Mike as well, when he resumes control of his thread. I'd guess that he already has something ingenious planned, though... :)
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Nope, sorry to disappoint you Roy, but nothing "ingenious planned." I started putting together Christian's kit several years ago, but got bogged down with the suspension, and just stopped. Since the roadwheel arms on both sides pivot to the rear, (unlike a King Tiger, for example, where each side pivots in a different direction), I tried to make a center brace down the middle of the hull that each side could pivot from. I used the Corliss-type suspension springs, but found that since the springs are all wound in the same direction; one side would have more resistance under pressure, while the other side would become more weak. And then, since I ALSO couldn't figure out suitable decals, I just squirreled it away for the future.

Dragon used to sell a 1/18 pre-assembled mini diorama of Michael Wittmann leaning up against a partial Cromwell turret. Since the turret's hatches opened, I figured I could transplant them (and the turret rivets) onto the Ludwig turret. But, it turned out that the turret is much larger than even 1/16 scale, and the hatches wouldn't fit.

Christian didn't sell the drive sprocket at the time (and I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway) so I made do by modifying a Panzer IV sprocket. I am using T-34 wheels and tyres for it, but still haven't figured out the roadwheel hubs (have been waiting to see if someone starts printing a set that I can buy through Shapeways). I'm also planning to use Panzer III/IV tracks with the ends of the shoes cut away to more-resemble the British tracks.

But - at least we now have a set of decals for it that will match up with their M4A4 set! (Roy, you wondered what that early Sherman turret was for, right)?
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Nice. I have their M4A4 set and a conversion kit.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

sassgrunt wrote:Nope, sorry to disappoint you Roy, but nothing "ingenious planned." I started putting together Christian's kit several years ago, but got bogged down with the suspension, and just stopped. Since the roadwheel arms on both sides pivot to the rear, (unlike a King Tiger, for example, where each side pivots in a different direction), I tried to make a center brace down the middle of the hull that each side could pivot from. I used the Corliss-type suspension springs, but found that since the springs are all wound in the same direction; one side would have more resistance under pressure, while the other side would become more weak. And then, since I ALSO couldn't figure out suitable decals, I just squirreled it away for the future.

Dragon used to sell a 1/18 pre-assembled mini diorama of Michael Wittmann leaning up against a partial Cromwell turret. Since the turret's hatches opened, I figured I could transplant them (and the turret rivets) onto the Ludwig turret. But, it turned out that the turret is much larger than even 1/16 scale, and the hatches wouldn't fit.

Christian didn't sell the drive sprocket at the time (and I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway) so I made do by modifying a Panzer IV sprocket. I am using T-34 wheels and tyres for it, but still haven't figured out the roadwheel hubs (have been waiting to see if someone starts printing a set that I can buy through Shapeways). I'm also planning to use Panzer III/IV tracks with the ends of the shoes cut away to more-resemble the British tracks.

But - at least we now have a set of decals for it that will match up with their M4A4 set! (Roy, you wondered what that early Sherman turret was for, right)?
Hi, Mike!
Yes, well the metal sprockets (with myriad mini bolts to fit 8O ) do give the model a special look; but since they're designed for Pz IV tracks, using standard Pz IV sprockets should still cut the mustard, so to speak. :)
I went for Chris' own metal arms and springs, and once I'd finally figured out the optimum position for the spring retaining screw...(and that wasn't very easy) :| I got the right setup.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22287&hilit=cromwell+build
....the arrangement is actually quite simple, and fairly close to the original. Buuu u u ttt....it did involve a lot of trial and error, and a pencil....and a lot of shouting. @)
On Chris's prototype Cromwell posted here around 2011, I think, he actually used plastic Tiger suspension arms, a pivot pin, and springs to get a working suspension. I wanted to do it with internal coil spring and
damper units, by using Pz 111 coil springs; but getting hold of 10 of these wouldn't be easy :problem:
Panzer 111 coil spring and damper
Panzer 111 coil spring and damper
The damper would sit between the outer and inner walls of the hull, as it does on the actual Cromwell and the T34, I think.
Two others have attempted the Cromwell using a T34 hull and suspension (inc. wheels), If I recollect correctly, and I'll find the links later. Tom's Cromwell used a modded Ludwig system, I think. :think:
Do have another go though! I'll provide any help I can. :thumbup: It will be a means to a great end; especially with those Decals decorating the end product. :thumbup:

Return to “Hobby News”