Upgrade old Heng Long to new 2.4 gig

The news page threads are posted here. Threads posted here appear as a news article on the news page and on the front page of the website.
Cliffrose
Recruit

Upgrade old Heng Long to new 2.4 gig

Post by Cliffrose »

Hi guys
I am upgrading my old Heng Long tanks from 27mz to 2.4 gig.
I have been looking for pin configuration for the new RX18 but when it gets to
the multi pin sockets not much info.I have the tank going forward and back,
turns ok, turret goes left n right and up and down. Smoke works ok, machine gun does not flash
and no recoil and airsoft does not fire.
I can believe I’m the first to do this so any help would be great.
I have to say when I burnt out the smoke unit it took ages to find out what resistor
I needed to replace it with ( 1/2 watt 10 ohm) so hopefully getting advice may help other novice tanker some guidance.
Cheers Cliff
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Upgrade old Heng Long to new 2.4 gig

Post by jarndice »

Hi Cliff, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
I have almost finished updating a Heng Long PZ4,
Everything you need for the changeover is readily available by using on-line sites such as----
www.forgebeartanks.com
My first act was to cut out the intrusive battery box and using a Dremel and craft knife levelled the floor,
I poured Polyfilla onto the floor of the Hull just thick enough to provide a flat floor using the battery box cover as part of the floor,
I discarded the RX18 and substituted it for a Taigen V2 control board and a sound module, this unit allows me to use either Taigens Transmitter or an after market transmitter,
With a flat floor I could now line the floor with a sheet of male Velcro and applied the female of the Velcro to the base of the Tarr smoker, Control board, sound module, and speaker,
So no more drilling or screwing into the hull as everything stays where you want it to be and can be removed very easily.
You will need a different mid hull multi-socket block (From Forgebear),
If you keep your Heng Long Turret Rotation motor your new multi-socket block will have a single 8 pin socket instead of the old 7 pin socket and below it a 3 pin socket with at one end a 2 terminal point where the Heng Long Turret Rotation motor wires have to be soldered and at the other end is a 3 terminal area where the MG and the H/lights are soldered,
If you change your Heng Long Turret rotation motor for a DKLM Metal Turret Rotation motor (From Forgebear) it comes with a plug so you can buy a mid hull multi-socket block which has an 8 pin socket and below it a 3 pin socket and beside it a 2 pin socket for the Turret motor at the other end is the 3 terminal area where the H/lights and the MG are soldered (From Forgebear),
I decided to buy a 360 degree turret kit (BB version) everything needed including instructions are included. again from Dave at Forgebear.
If you buy a full cable kit it will include a power switch and Tamiya battery connector as well as an 8 pin control board cable.
It is not a difficult conversion and you can buy all you need for very little money,
The most expensive being the Taigen V2 control board with speaker and sound module and Transmitter, The V3 kit is almost identical to the V2 kit about £70.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Cliffrose
Recruit

Post by Cliffrose »

Thanks for the info.
I was wondering if someone has a newer tiger with the 2.4 gig mfu could give me a photo of the connector block on the turret with the wires connected.
Cheers Cliff
Cliffrose
Recruit

Post by Cliffrose »

Hi buddy if I purchase a new 2.4 transmitter and receiver how many channels do I require
Cheers Cliff
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Cliffrose wrote:Hi guys
I am upgrading my old Heng Long tanks from 27mz to 2.4 gig.
I have been looking for pin configuration for the new RX18 but when it gets to
the multi pin sockets not much info.I have the tank going forward and back,
turns ok, turret goes left n right and up and down. Smoke works ok, machine gun does not flash
and no recoil and airsoft does not fire.
I can believe I’m the first to do this so any help would be great.
I have to say when I burnt out the smoke unit it took ages to find out what resistor
I needed to replace it with ( 1/2 watt 10 ohm) so hopefully getting advice may help other novice tanker some guidance.
Cheers Cliff
That may be a trigger switch issue, caused by the bad airsoft unit. If the airsoft doesn't fire it doesn't trip the trigger switch so you get no track recoil or cannon sounds. Can you post photos of how it's wired? Can you apply power directly to the airsoft motor? What does it do when you attempt to fire? Any action or noise at all? Do you get machine gun sound, just no flash, or are both kaput? I have diagrams for how the tank was originally wired (old tiger with 27MHz, yes?) but not for the latest stock control set-up. Exactly what electronics are you using? Can you post a photo?

I use a one watt, 10 ohm wire-wound resistor for upgraded smoke units, but for most of my tanks I just use the Taigen smoker, ten bucks a pop and easy to swap out, especially after I pop some velcro on the bottom. I expect them to fail, and if they last a decent amount of time I'm pleasantly surprised. Where are you? In the states I get smokers from Imex in Florida, but if you're UK based Forgebear should have them, but I don't know how much they are. Seems like things in the UK are a bit more than here, but I'm told a lot of that can be blamed on VAT. Glad we don't have that nightmare. If you're close enough to The motor City just pop round and we'll have it sorted in no time. I've even got all the right parts right here. :haha: :haha: :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Cliff Hi, I don't know how familiar with the Heng Long RX18 control board both the 27 and the 2.4 you are BUT assuming it is new to you the thing is a closed system and unless you are prepared to search out a special add-on you will only be able to use the Heng Long Transmitter,
To use an aftermarket 2.4 Digital Transmitter and receiver with your Tank/s you will need a different control board.
If you are strapped for cash I would recommend the Taigen V2 or V3 conversion kit, this is a new transmitter, a Sound Module, an uprated speaker, and a V2/V3 control board and all the necessary cables and an illustrated instruction pamphlet
With this system it is a simple plug and play and it gives you the choice of using the Taigen Transmitter or an aftermarket Transmitter/Receiver,
I would choose an 8 Channel Transmitter/Receiver as the minimum and ensure it comes with Tank Software and with a rotary control that you can configure for a volume control bearing in mind Model Aircraft don't usually have a sound chip.
If you have some money then the IBU 2/3 Control boards are very highly rated and are available complete with properly modified Transmitter from Ian (Tankbear) then there is the Elmod board and there is the ASP2 if you can find it and the CLARK range of boards,
All of these boards are far better than the Heng Long Board and Transmitter and if you follow the instructions they are not usually much of a problem to fit and get up and running and Hoorah most of them get rid of the recoil problem.
Any problems then please ask any number of questions and we will do our best to help.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I suggest you put a meter on the power leads to the airsoft motor. When l upgraded one of mine from the earlier 2.4 to the current two sound module l discovered that l needed to add a permanent power lead to an obscure tag in the turret. That was a year ago and l don't recall the details but a meter will tell you if a required power supply is there or not.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
anglosaxon
Recruit

Post by anglosaxon »

Detroit where the weak are killed and eaten because there is no vat so they cant afford the police
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Sales tax is 6% in Michigan...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

anglosaxon wrote:Detroit where the weak are killed and eaten because there is no vat so they cant afford the police
Police? What is a police?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Hobby News”