Centurion

The news page threads are posted here. Threads posted here appear as a news article on the news page and on the front page of the website.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Centurion

Post by jarndice »

I agree with Alwyn about the Centurion's suspension but the Horstman system that was used in the Centurion was also used in the Conqueror which makes both Tanks an economic possibility for Heng Long/Taigen to Manufacture,
From our point of view as the suspension was an external fit that means the interior of the Hull is an uncluttered box rather than most Hulls with space lost to intrusive suspension systems.
Whilst the Centurion was an MBT/Heavy Tank My thought is that the "Comet" was the true first modern British Tank, It was not a "Precursor" to the Centurion as is sometimes suggested simply because of the obvious differences between them, Christie Suspension versus Horstman and the designation Cruiser for the Comet,
But the way that the COMET Tank finally got the Horsepower/Main Armament/Armour equation correct for the first time and with the exception of the Leyland Multi-Fuelled Chieftain 1 it has kept the balance right ever since.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Looking at the suspension, is it just me or is it similar to the Sherman HVSS system?
Loongsheep
Recruit

Post by Loongsheep »

Having built Chris's Centurion, I would say that its suspension is less complicated than many tanks we already have in model.
Exception being the travel-limiting rods - those can be damaged by debris while driving outdoors.

As for Waltherson... we are both based in Hong Kong and I met one of their designers a while ago (at a local hobby shop, around March). Heard things about the T-72 before the FB announcement but never anything about the Centurion. He did hint about another cold war tank on the work but it is supposed to be T-72's rival.

OKMO (the folks who made the T28/95) do have plans for a M60 and Chieftain. The chance of them both getting produced within 2 years is greater than Hooben actually start selling their Abrams and Leo2A4. ;D

The T28/95 has similar HVSS/Horstmann susopension arrangement BTW.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Trouble with these one offs or 3d printed tanks is the cost. Especially now the pound is all messed up.
Loongsheep
Recruit

Post by Loongsheep »

Ad Lav wrote:Trouble with these one offs or 3d printed tanks is the cost. Especially now the pound is all messed up.
I wouldn't have visited Bovington and start collecting Hornby/Bachmann trains if GBP was high! :haha:

The price of the T28/95 directly relates to its size as 3D printing is expensive. The MBTs will cost less for sure. Comparable to Chris's offerings I think but takes less work to finish.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

A little dicky bird told me that Heng Long have hit hard times, mainly due to their CAD design team walking off to more lucrative pastures. They are apparently now in a process of sharing resources with another manufacturer. As to what this means for new tanks is anybody's guess?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

wibblywobbly wrote:A little dicky bird told me that Heng Long have hit hard times, mainly due to their CAD design team walking off to more lucrative pastures. They are apparently now in a process of sharing resources with another manufacturer. As to what this means for new tanks is anybody's guess?
I work in Large Scale Injection Molded airplane and ship models and it seams that the CAD folks have discovered capitalism and hire them selves out to the high bidder.
They used to be employees of the large model manufactures there but have found their on callings.
I have been working on a research team for one of the "big name" IM manufacturing CAD teams on a certain large scale aircraft kit and it has slowed down due competing demands on the CAD team.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

A historical report on the real thing.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/issues/no ... 94E3452BCD

Return to “Hobby News”