Erwin Rommel

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
slaychild
Private

Erwin Rommel

Post by slaychild »

He is my great uncle on my mom's mom's side. :O
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Erwin Rommel

Post by [ICE]monkey »

Really , he was one of if not the best german general/ field marshal there was , mainly because he thought of his troops first
slaychild
Private

Post by slaychild »

Yea my Grandma always talks about him.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Tactical Genius,he understood what his men could do based on first hand experience of being in the mist of battle with them.James Mason playS him well in the Desert Fox.

His military ethics were so deeply in grained he did not realize the Horror of the influence Hitler had over the OKW,and he paid with his life, TRULY BRAVE SOLDIER TO THE END.

Certainly if Rommel,Galland,and Donitz had been running the show Africa may have been won,control of SUEZ would have changed the middle eastern into a German alliance of Arabs states. It would have been a different war for sure.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Steenv
Sergeant

Post by Steenv »

I read a book called Rommel, where also his merrits from WW1 where described. He earned the Pour le Mérite also known as Blauer Max, which was a rare medal to achive during these times.

In Munster Panzer Museum in Germany his Africa jacket is on display together with some of his medals from WW2.
Let me check if I can find some pictures of that and post here

regards
Steen
Attachments
blauer max.jpg
blauer max.jpg (11.96 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
slaychild
Private

Post by slaychild »

That is cool. I remember my 9th grade year in High School and in world history we were studying the wars. There was a picture and a section in the test book about Rommel and I raised my hand and explained my relationship to him. Once I did that some of the kids in the class started calling me a nazi. My teacher blow up and then made the hole class to a report on who and what type of person he was. That was great.
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

from what i read, rommel was in the nazi party, but later he depised the nazi's and was part of valkerie to assinate hitler. then he got forced to commit sucide and was given a state funeral. got a really good bio on him that i havent read in a dogs age, can see it coming out again.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
slaychild
Private

Post by slaychild »

From what I know, he was never in the Nazi party. He considered himself a true soldier and never became political. From what my family has told me, when he was in Africa fighting. When he sent one of his lower officers the Germany for some R&R. He told the Officer to meet with someone and that person would give him a place to stay. When the officer returned to Germany, he meet with that person and he gave him the address the the place he was going to stay while on R&R. When the officer got to the residence it was occupied by a family. So the officer called the person who set him up with place and was told that family should not have been there and was told to stand by and someone would come to get them out. He waited and some SS soldiers showed up and pulled the Jewish family out side and shot them in front of the officer. The officer asked one of the SS soldiers why they did that and the soldier explained to the officer what he had been missing while serving in the Africa Corp (Holocaust). After he return to Africa, he told Rommel what was going on back home and Rommel didn't agree with it. He said it wasn't honorable to do such a thing and the rest is history. The true story is after Valkerie is they told him that if he didn't commit suicide his family wouldn't be protected. Hitler wanted this because Rommel was his number one propaganda machine at that time and didn't want the country to know that he was against Hitler.
Steenv
Sergeant

Post by Steenv »

as promised some pictures from Munster Panzer Museum

cheers
Steen

streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

slay, i wasnt clued up on the first bit, always knew rommel was a honerable man. knew about the last bit, but he was, as i think, one of the last true, dont know the damn word, gentlemen. a fantasic warrior but also a humanitarian. read lots of sories about how treated prisoners the same as his own men. have to sgree if hitler had listened to rommel and othersthen meybe we would be speaking in german. hell of a commander. forgive the bad spelling, after thge dog bite, typining with mty left hand is really hard. :D
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I

Return to “Ancestors”