James Cochrane 7th Royal Tanks 1927 -1952

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
1424David
Recruit

James Cochrane 7th Royal Tanks 1927 -1952

Post by 1424David »

I can proudly tell you of my father James Cochrane who was born in Scotland in 1911.
He upset his father when he turned 18 years of age and joined the "English" Army
He went straight into the RAC and subsequently served six years in India, mainly in the North West Frontier (Khyber Pass) in Armoured Cars and Light Tanks.
My dad fought in the 2nd World War as a member of the 7th Tanks in the BEF in Matilda Tanks and was in Belgium when ordfered to destroy his tank. He was evactuated out of Dunkirk.
He went to North Africa with the 7th Tanks and saw action at Mersa Matruh, Bardia, Sidi Rezegh and Tobruk
His tank was hit outside Tobruk and he became a Prisoner of War for three and a half years.
Before his capture he was informed that he had been put up for the MM and Bar.
Being a bit of a card he replied the everyone was getting killed.
So he asked for a weeks leave in Cairo and after that he would come back and get killed.
He got the leave but was told that the medals would not be his.
Dad told me that the 7th Tanks were then down to six servicable Matilda tanks
In 1979 I was playing pool with an older englishman and during the conversation found that he was the recipient of my dad's medals.
I arranged for them to meet for lunch the next day and was present when my dad looked at Bob who he ahd not seen since the end of the war. Put out his hand and said "G'Day bob.
My dad immediatly turned to me and said "He got my double MM you know.
The remained good friends until Bob's untimely death in 1989.
My father died on December 31st 2002 and was cremated.
STEWART763
Private

Re: James Cochrane 7th Royal Tanks 1927 -1952

Post by STEWART763 »

Enjoyed the story thanks for sharing

Stewart

Return to “Ancestors”