My Father Stug3 driver Ww2

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My Father Stug3 driver Ww2

Post by Estnische »

Here is my grandfather, an Estonian conscript in the German army some time before September 1944.

As a university student, he fought with the Estonian cavalry in the 1920 war of independence against the Russian Bolsheviks. In between the World Wars he became a doctor. Things were always precarious for the Baltic countries, Finland, Belarus and Poland, especially after the signing of the Molotov-von Ribbentrop pact between Russia and Germany.

At the outbreak of war, Russia issued an ultimatum to Estonia: let us occupy your territory or we will smash you. Then Operation Barbarossa exchanged one set of invaders for another – however in the interim, the Soviets had worked the communist play book: anyone of influence was shot or sent to labour camps in Siberia for systematic starvation. Political and military leaders, religious ministers, journalists, even teachers were rounded up in the purges and were never seen again. The German occupiers weren’t fantastic, but they were more reasonable. Hitler even decided Baltic people were racially acceptable, unlike their poor suffering Slavic neighbours.

As the tide of the war turned, the Germans looked to conscripting the locals into fighting units for the Eastern front. They were not considered totally friendly, so Himmler eventually suggested that they be brought under the SS where they could be closely monitored. Being a doctor, my grandfather was assigned to a mobile army hospital. Like regular German troops, they received excellent training and privileges such as being allowed home on leave.

At the beginning of 1944 Estonia was once again threatened by the advancing Russian front, leading to the battle of Narva. The 20th Estnische Waffen SS division fought a dogged defence alongside other foreign divisions such as the Nederlanders and Danes. However, the outcome was inevitable and the Germans offered refuge and transport for those that wanted to leave. My grandmother, having had her post-master brother executed by the Soviets, and having a husband in the German forces, decided it was best not to hang around and evacuated with her boys to northern Germany in September 1944.

My grandfather had many harrowing events escaping from the advancing Soviets, but eventually rejoined his family in Scwartzenbeck where he served as a doctor for the British administration in Hamburg. This photo is one of only two that remain of him in uniform. All families destroyed any photos with evidence of their men having been in the Waffen SS – occupying foot-soldiers had no time for nuances of foreign politics.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Here is my grandfather, an Estonian conscript in the German army some time before September 1944.

As a university student, he fought with the Estonian cavalry in the 1920 war of independence against the Russian Bolsheviks. In between the World Wars he became a doctor. Things were always precarious for the Baltic countries, Finland, Belarus and Poland, especially after the signing of the Molotov-von Ribbentrop pact between Russia and Germany.

At the outbreak of war, Russia issued an ultimatum to Estonia: let us occupy your territory or we will smash you. Then Operation Barbarossa exchanged one set of invaders for another – however in the interim, the Soviets had worked the communist play book: anyone of influence was shot or sent to labour camps in Siberia for systematic starvation. Political and military leaders, religious ministers, journalists, even teachers were rounded up in the purges and were never seen again. The German occupiers weren’t fantastic, but they were more reasonable. Hitler even decided Baltic people were racially acceptable, unlike their poor suffering Slavic neighbours.

As the tide of the war turned, the Germans looked to conscripting the locals into fighting units for the Eastern front. They were not considered totally friendly, so Himmler eventually suggested that they be brought under the SS where they could be closely monitored. Being a doctor, my grandfather was assigned to a mobile army hospital. Like regular German troops, they received excellent training and privileges such as being allowed home on leave.

At the beginning of 1944 Estonia was once again threatened by the advancing Russian front, leading to the battle of Narva. The 20th Estnische Waffen SS division fought a dogged defence alongside other foreign divisions such as the Nederlanders and Danes. However, the outcome was inevitable and the Germans offered refuge and transport for those that wanted to leave. My grandmother, having had her post-master brother executed by the Soviets, and having a husband in the German forces, decided it was best not to hang around and evacuated with her boys to northern Germany in September 1944.

My grandfather had many harrowing events escaping from the advancing Soviets, but eventually rejoined his family in Scwartzenbeck where he served as a doctor for the British administration in Hamburg. This photo is one of only two that remain of him in uniform. All families destroyed any photos with evidence of their men having been in the Waffen SS – occupying foot-soldiers had no time for nuances of foreign politics.
Thanks, Brett. :clap:
This is a fascinating, and somewhat harrowing, account of folk conscripted (by the Russians and the Germans) to fight a war they never asked for which, ultimately, led to brother fighting brother in an unwanted gladiatorial contest.
I have the Movie: '1944: forced to fight" (it appears under a variety of titles), and this covers some of the conflict- superbly, in my opinion. All too often, fighting in the Baltic area isn't covered by the Movie industry- which tends to focus on Normandy, Italy, the Desert and the Pacific. But, this was a World war...
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Indeed - it goes on today. Putin has rattled his sabre often. NATO members now spend lots of time on exercises in the Baltic countries.

Neutrals say it is just Putin posturing to maintain popularity but the Ukraine has been belted around and Belarus is being squeezed.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

As I mentioned above, I find these first person & family histories utterly fascinating, far more interesting in my humble opinion, to read than then the strategic tomes we normally devour. I belong to a military history ebook club & just finished John Stieber's 'Against The Odds: Survival On the Russian Front 1944-45' an excellent bio of a Czech youngster conscripted in the Wehrmacht in early '44. Karl H. Schlesier's 'Flakhelfer to Grenadier: Memoir of a Boy Soldier 1943-1945' is another excellent read I highly recommend.
ATO_Stieber.jpeg
ATO_Stieber.jpeg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
FTG_Schlesier.jpeg
FTG_Schlesier.jpeg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
I have many more books from former soldiers including a few tankers that truly take you back into the horror, as well as some lighthearted moments of their days.
Winalot
Private

Post by Winalot »

Grat Stories, sounds like the Czech lad in the Book shared the same fate as my Father, i Must find a copy. Might help me understand my Dads situation at that time.
Thanks
W
"It’s not despair that kills you, but hope" John Cleese

Return to “Ancestors”