Wartime Photos

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Wartime Photos

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

When my Uncle died in Glasgow a few years ago, he left me a tin of photos that had once belonged to my grandmother. (ANd..b*ggerall else, it has to be said :/ :) ). It occurred to me that while we have this
'Ancestors' topic area, perhaps we could also have one for Wartime Photos, as well.? There must be hundreds of members, if not thousands, out there with caches of old sepia and black and white pics gathering dust, or cobwebs. By pics, I don't just mean of soldiers, but of Units, equipment, campaigns and more...
As this is the Centenary year of the end the Great War, and as WW2 survivors and now well into their nineties, it's important to put 'names to faces' before no one can. :think: I can identify some of the soldiers I found in my Gran's tin, but others now can't be named. I guess they were either relatives, or pals of relatives they served with.
WW1:
I know this was taken in Dumfries, and the soldier may have been my Grandfather's half-brother.
This one was obviously a stretcher bearer, and had managed to eat all the Haggis before serving.
Two tommies; one wearing a Scots bonnet..
Three Tommies with swagger sticks. The one in the middle is some sort of relative..
Irish Grandfather
Grandfather's elder brother with Charlie Chaplin 'tache, 3rd from Right, second row. Before he met the Germans.. :|
Grandfather's elder brother minus Chaplin 'tache, and left leg- after he'd met the Germans 8O 9In the wheelchair on the left)
WW1:
Dad as teen recruit ca. 1943.
RAF ground crew. Dad's elder brother is the one on the right with the Mascot..
Wessex Div's campaigns. Hadn't thought it before, but Bovington has a strong association with the Wessex division. We have as well (despite being Irish and Scots). My dad's older brother was also in the same division, but I've posted his pic before. Anyway, these are just a few I found. Don't let your old campaigners be forgotten :thumbup: Not for a long time yet!
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Wartime Photos

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ooops., scanning this, I noticed that I'd put the description of one photo in, but not the photo. :/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Thanks for sharing Roy :thumbup:

I really need to try and locate the only picture there is that I know of of my father during the 2nd war, he's in north Africa with his fellow gunners.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thanks for sharing Roy :thumbup:

I really need to try and locate the only picture there is that I know of of my father during the 2nd war, he's in north Africa with his fellow gunners.
:thumbup: I'm guessing there must be loads of interesting photos out there; some with stories attached, others with just the look of the times. Given the international makeup of the Forum, we should be able to
garner German, French, American, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Polish pictures- just for starters. Some of these can then be a ready visual reference resource for badges, uniforms, units, kit and more...even though there is already another category for uniforms, I think. Must check.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yes, it is all very interesting. Sadly my dad's uniform was in a bad way, but I kept all the badges, medal ribbons and stripes etc, got them in my loft somewhere.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Yes, it is all very interesting. Sadly my dad's uniform was in a bad way, but I kept all the badges, medal ribbons and stripes etc, got them in my loft somewhere.
Well, even kit details (medal ribbons and more) come in handy, especially for modellers looking for authenticity. Dad had the France and Germany Star, and two other medals, but they've long since disappeared. I believe it's possible to buy them in miniature form, in order to pass them on. WW1 medals had names on, WW2 not- as far as I know. :) The MOD doesn't replace lost awards. :(
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just looked up the badge of the soldier sitting next to the one with the Scots Tom O'Shanter style bonnet, and it could be this one:
Prancing horse cap badge- King's Regiment
Prancing horse cap badge- King's Regiment
Cap badge for WW1 king's Regiment.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
The WW1 Liverpool Regiment badge looked similar. :think:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great pics Roy, thank you for posting them :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Great pics Roy, thank you for posting them :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Many thanks, Lee! Post some yourself; there must be some in the family vaults :)
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Ooops., scanning this, I noticed that I'd put the description of one photo in, but not the photo. :/
Hello
Do you know where your Irish Grandfather was from?
Im from Dublin
Frank

Return to “Ancestors”