Wartime Photos

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Wartime Photos

Post by jarndice »

My Mothers Father A Master Builder was from Limerick,
I have sometimes wondered if that entitles me to claim Irish Citizenship. Just in case Brexit goes tits up :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Your grandfather was Irish, that makes you one of us my friend, you can claim Irish Citizenship
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Topper wrote:Your grandfather was Irish, that makes you one of us my friend, you can claim Irish Citizenship
Thank you for that,
Just out of interest is the Irish State pension Scheme any good? :haha: :haha:
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Funny you should say that, its twice that of the UK. the OAP's over here (England) get a raw deal after a life time of work.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Can you hang on for a minute I just have to put air in the back tyre of the bicycle :crazy:
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Brexit and your pension
On 31 January 2020 the UK exited the EU. However, you will still get your Irish State Pension (Contributory) or UK State Pension, as before. Irish and UK citizens living in Ireland can still benefit from social insurance contributions made when working in the UK.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Topper wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Ooops., scanning this, I noticed that I'd put the description of one photo in, but not the photo. :/
Hello
Do you know where your Irish Grandfather was from?
Im from Dublin
Frank
From Ballyneale, in Tipperary (his parents),,and so I'd miss out by a generation. Then again, I'm mostly Scottish (100% on my Mum's side).
Before Tipperary, the Harans in my family (G-G- Grandmother was Mary Haran) came from Sligo. The Connors were mostly from Cork.
I did once visit Dublin's fair city; and quaffed a few mega-drams of Jameson's beside the Liffey. :crazy:
I never quite made it to Ballyneale...as the bars in Dublin needed some serious exploration (and the music as well, of course!)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

Dublin has become a stage set , you would be hard pressed to meet a Dubliner, the city of James Joyce is long gone only to be replaced with a cartoon version for tourists, you need to head into the country to find Irish people. And imho very expensive too, as Dr Johnson said "Worth seeing but not worth going to see"
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Topper wrote:Dublin has become a stage set , you would be hard pressed to meet a Dubliner, the city of James Joyce is long gone only to be replaced with a cartoon version for tourists, you need to head into the country to find Irish people. And imho very expensive too, as Dr Johnson said "Worth seeing but not worth going to see"
I think few cities retain the essential character, and their essential characters, that made them tourist attractions in the first place (... Cockneys in London, for example- and their 'pearly kings and queens, etc..') such is the speed of change; and the impact on culture of large scale immigration (emigration too- especially from Ireland), as well as 'globalisation'.

James Joyce, by the way, is buried only a mile from where my son lives, in Zürich. I have a pic of the statue of him, in pensive mode, that sits atop the grave. :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Topper
Corporal

Post by Topper »

The E.U has poured a lot of money into Ireland, thats good and bad.I knew about Joyce's grave, never been to his grave.

Return to “Ancestors”