My Dad's B-17 crew

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

My Dad's B-17 crew

Post by Norton1 »

Flew out of Snetterton in northern England. My sister spent the last several years tracking down the relatives of men in his crew and compiling this incredible page that brings the crew and the men to life -

https://www.facebook.com/rumboogiecrew/
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: My Dad's B-17 crew

Post by Ecam »

Very cool. Never expected to see something about out greatest generation on Facebook.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Steve, Snetterton is actually in Eastern England in the County of Norfolk,
If you look at a road map of England and look at the lower right hand side where it bulges into the North Sea Find "Norfolk" and trace left,
You will find the A11, Snetterton is on that road.
It is now the site of a very fast Motorcycle circuit, The straightaway which was once the main runway helps to make it one of the fastest tracks in the UK, one of the slowest parts is called the "Bomb Hole" !!! I do not want to guess why but my father after being invalided out of the Army worked as an Armourer at another USAAF Bomber base at RAF Bovingdon in Hertfordshire and he would talk of the rare times when a returning damaged aircraft would make a cock of the landing and there would be live munitions rolling down the runway and over the grass, he never saw any explode but it was more luck than anything else. :lolno:
I have personal reasons for thanking the US armed Forces and the generosity of the American people for their presence in those dark days in our country. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

My dad talked about on one of the longer mission a B-17 overloaded with ammunition, for the machine guns, crashed on takeoff in front of them. It was a hell of an explosion that left nothing of the aircraft or its occupants in other than tiny pieces. They took off through the pieces and smoke from the blast. Once a takeoff series was begun there was no stopping for anything.

In total, from training to 25th mission, his crew went through 5 aircraft. 2 were so shot up they were used for parts. The 96th took the highest amount of casualties of any bomb group in the European theater of operations. Only 1 in 4 crews made it through to 25. He never talked about the war much. until 12 O'clock High, the movie, came out. He'd search the aircraft in the movie looking for his and others of his group in the actual photographs of the missions.

After I came home from Vietnam we talked a lot about the differences of being on the ground vs being in the air. Our conclusion is there wasn't any safe space when you were being shot at.

I don't know about the "Greatest Generation" term. They fought in a war where the world was united on one side or the other. My war was fought by men who answered their countries call in spite of the accusatory homecoming we endured. My sadness is we didn't learn anything from that war. With the notable exception of not blaming the warrior for the war. And that is suspect in some circles I think.

Be well,
Steve
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Hi Steve, thanks for sharing this about your dad. I've researched for many years about the Army Air Force and have always loved the B-17. Every year when they visit, I take my children to see the plane and go inside and meet the veterans. This is something we greatly appreciate.

My father is 91 and a veteran of the war in the pacific. He was in the Navy. My dad was injured at 18, and hospitalized for 6 months, luckily he is still with us and very healthy and strong. ( And a handful might I add!)

My wife's grandfather was a pilot of a B-17 and flew 30 missions over France and Germany during the war. He was with the 388th Bomb Group based in Knettishall. He and the bombardier were the only two crew members who shared the 30 missions together.

We have many pictures and stories of his bravery and even have a beautiful B-17 ornament on our Christmas tree.

Our favorite piece is a silk cloth with a pinup on it with all 30 missions listed and have hand written "notes" from the crew.

Thanks so very much for sharing your story, I will be following this for sure!

Carl

Here is my wife's grandfather William KeelerImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

The B-17 that came here several months ago my wife paid for me to fly on it. I got to help pull the props through and sit up front with the pilot and copilot on takeoff. It was pretty dang cool. It's a small aircraft and to think of what they endured was really enhanced by being there. Where my dad sat, in the tail, I couldn't have put my big ol butt through the bailout door let along set on my knees for 10-12 hours back there.

Brought back a ton of memories of our conversations back in the 60s about what they did over there.

Great picture Carl. It's superb that you have it.

Be well,
Steve
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thank you very much Steve! I plan on a flight myself in the near future. Yes they are relatively small the bomb bay challenged my rather big physique Image
( and I don't mean wrestler big) :crazy:

I have many books and flight logs in our house to read at my leisure, very cool stuff
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Ancestors”