Meet my great grandfather

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
Lert
Sergeant

Meet my great grandfather

Post by Lert »

This is Frederik Meems.

My mother's mother's father, so he is my great grandfather. He died when I was 6, and I was (in part) named after him. Fred Meems enjoyed a cold beer every now and then, as is evident by the above picture. However, that's not the reason I made this thread.

This is:

This is my great grandfather, being knighted in the queen's name, by an officer of the queen, for his actions in the resistance during WWII. The earlier picture with him enjoying a cold beer was actually taken during the celebration for his knighting.

I never knew any of this, until a few months ago. My entire family being dutch born and raised, and (part of) my maternal family being of jewish descent, that side of my family didn't have it easy during the war. I know they hid out in Den Haag for the duration of the war, but no more than that. My grandmother never talks about the war, and I can fully understand and respect that.

However, now that she's also getting on in age, she's starting to open up a little bit more, and a few months ago she sent me an envelope with this story and the two original photos. Maybe, over time, she'll tell me more.

I'm - ... Yeah. It's very humbling to me. I'm still enawed. And tonight, I'm having myself a cold beer, in honor of grampa Meems.

If you're willing and able, join me, raise a drink of your choice to those unsung heroes who helped fight for freedom where none seemed possible?
Last edited by Lert on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Meet my grear grandfather

Post by PainlessWolf »

Lert,
Done and Done, Sir.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Meet my great grandfather