My Ancestors (enjoy the read)

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
Paul_B
Recruit

My Ancestors (enjoy the read)

Post by Paul_B »

Not knowing much about my family history I decided to ask my Dad about it. Not expecting too much info after the passing of his wife. Because of this combined with age he can barely remember my birthday nor my kids birthdays (hmmm does he even know I have kids?) lol. Well, when I asked him for a history lesson his eyes lit up and he got a big smile on his face. When he started telling me the stories he talked about them like they had just happened yesterday... Lets back up a bit considering that these forums are based in the UK. I was born in Basingstoke, lived in Kingsclere <sp> and at the age of 4 we came to Canada for a "holiday". This was in 1970. I am still classed as a landed immigrant (permanent resident) and have never gotten my Canadian Citizenship (i have no idea why)lol. Well thats me in a nutshell.

I found out that my Great Grandad #205086 was in the 6th BN Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) and died in combat September 25th 1918 and was buried at Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre France
My Grandad was a coal miner during WW2 and never had to serve in the military because he was considered and "essential service worker" (i couldn't imagine being down in the mines when bombs were being dropped.
My Dad served in the Military from 1950-1962 He was with the 4th Royal Tank Regiment and stationed in Fallingbostel, Germany in 1954 as a Tank Mechanic..lol Who knew?

I find this information truly fascinating and humbling. I still have to dig some more to get some information and pictures. My Dad said he has a few pictures, but can't remember where they are (go figure)...

Paul_B
Scottie
Recruit

Re: My Ancestors (enjoy the read)

Post by Scottie »

Hi Paul
It's great to have your father around to open your eyes to family history. You shouldn't stop there I bet you have a lot more to celebrate if you look further back.
scottie
Paul_B
Recruit

Re: My Ancestors (enjoy the read)

Post by Paul_B »

Scottie wrote:Hi Paul
It's great to have your father around to open your eyes to family history. You shouldn't stop there I bet you have a lot more to celebrate if you look further back.
scottie

I have been digging on the internet to try a find out more. Also going to look at my Moms side next. I find this very fascinating and enjoy the hunt.

Return to “Ancestors”