My great uncle General Konstantinos Bakopoulos

The purpose of this board is to post information and pictures of the family members who served have served in any kind of service to their country. In this way we can honour their memory and service.
KommandantX
Recruit

My great uncle General Konstantinos Bakopoulos

Post by KommandantX »

My great uncle Konstantinos Th. Bakopoulos (1889-1950) was a Greek General in the Hellenic Army who took part in the Balkan Wars (1912-13), played a crucial conciliatory role in Greek military politics during the 1930s and distinguished himself in the fight against the Nazis during World War II. In 1943 he was imprisoned in German concentration camps until the end of the war in 1945 (with four other generals, including General Alexander Papagos, a future Prime Minister). He wrote a book about his imprisonment " I Omiria ton pente Antistratigon" (The hostage taking of the five Generals)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantinos_Bakopoulos

My son, now just over 6 years old carries his name. From his mother's side, her grand father served with the Paras and fought in Arnhem, while her brother is currently in the Paras.

Dr Chris Bakopoulos
Attachments
Gen K Bakopoulos.jpg
Gen K Bakopoulos.jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Tamiya: KT Porsche (static), KT Henschel, M26 Pershing, Tiger 1 Normandy, Tiger 1 Desert, Sherman
HL: Tiger 1, Pershing, Pantiger, Panther, KV-1
Scratch-built: Jagdtiger, Tiger (Porsche typ 101), KV-2 (Tamiya, HL, scratch-built)
WSN: T-34 (winter)
cannedheat

Re: My great uncle General Konstantinos Bakopoulos

Post by cannedheat »

nice to have someone of distinction in the family ? i have some one in my family of distinction in my mind not famouse or known lost in the great war so he is someone of distinction to me...... wot wot old chap

Return to “Ancestors”